Seat upholstery questions

ctbrooklyn

Reaction score
Hi all. I've been getting widely varying figures for the amount of yardage to buy for reupholstering my 69 LeBaron seats - front split seats and back bench. She has fabric with leather on the outer edges. The leather is fine, I am only buying the fabric. Any ideas from anyone who's done this? I don't want to end up with several extra yards but also want to avoid skimping and being short.
Second, any recommendations for a good upholsterer in New England/upstate New York?
Thanks in advance for any help! My baby's at the paint shop now, recently got back my beautiful rechromed rear bumper, and hope the warm months (if they do indeed arrive this year) see her coming closer to her original glory.
Joel

Keep in mid this stuff is sold by the running yard and is typically about 54" wide.

I'm pretty sure it rolls out from left to right not front to rear, the cuts can make a big difference.
The are pieces on my seat that are more than 54" left to right.

I recently had my seats done but the material was leftover from another project so I cant say how much.

If it is all the same stuff then it might be a little easier to calculate, mine had cloth and vinyl.

SMS should be able to help you with the amount needed.
http://www.smsautofabrics.com/ajaxsearch.php

Alan

Why not find the shop first? They will either let you know what you need OR have access to it

Hi all. I've been getting widely varying figures for the amount of yardage to buy for reupholstering my 69 LeBaron seats - front split seats and back bench. She has fabric with leather on the outer edges. The leather is fine, I am only buying the fabric. Any ideas from anyone who's done this? I don't want to end up with several extra yards but also want to avoid skimping and being short.
Second, any recommendations for a good upholsterer in New England/upstate New York?
Thanks in advance for any help! My baby's at the paint shop now, recently got back my beautiful rechromed rear bumper, and hope the warm months (if they do indeed arrive this year) see her coming closer to her original glory.
Joel
How did the bumper turn out? Where did you get it rechromed?

Thanks Alan. I've contacted SMS and Original Auto Interiors. One told me 5 - 6 yards, the other 9 yards. At $90-95 a yard, it adds up! I didn't want to get into a pissing match between the two of them, so I am hoping to get an educated guess from FCBO folks.

My thought was to have fabric in hand and be ready to go, especially since I haven't found a shop yet. I'd feel funny asking a place for their knowledge and then not giving them my business. Plus as I am in the boonies it'll likely be a hike to whoever I end up using, so again having the material in hand seems like it might help. Thanks!

Thanks Alan. I've contacted SMS and Original Auto Interiors. One told me 5 - 6 yards, the other 9 yards. At $90-95 a yard, it adds up! I didn't want to get into a pissing match between the two of them, so I am hoping to get an educated guess from FCBO folks.

I would trust SMS, That is where my stuff came from and we had no problems.

Alan

Back