seats with headrests or "racing seats" who has done it?

Knebel

Reaction score
Hi there,

after seeing a pretty horrible accident recently, I have decided that I want to upgrade my Fury Interior to make it a little "safer". I have thought about putting 3 Point belts in the backseat for a while because I drive my Kids around in the Fury and they need to be strapped in properly. Then im thinking about upgrading the seatbelts in the front to also 3 Point belts (would prefer a 4 Point harness but cant because backseat needs to be useable). I currently have the benchseat in the front with the lap-belts.

I am trying to find some classic looking "racing seats" or something what dosent look like total crap in the Fury. Of course, budget is very limited but I am also thinking, the benchseat weighs a TON and the two seats would be 20 Lb together or so. That would be an improvement. I just cant seem to find anything which would look good in a classic car except "cobra classic rs" which are out of the pricerange ($400 each). I am also looking for a seat which is reclineable so the backseat is accessible too.

Has anyone done this before? any Ideas? Any pictures I find are from A/B Bodies with full rollcage and black Interior, I have the Red Interior and dont want a "racey" look, just some safer buckets where you slide around less. I dont mind giving up the middle seat in the front... any Ideas are very welcome. If there is no solution, it will just be left alone before it looks all out of whack.

While I like this, it would just look out of place in an otherwise fairly normal car due to the large shoulder support:

525265713_441.JPG

so again, has anyone ever done something like this to improve a stock interior in a car not trimmed for racing? and has pics of it? I used to have full race buckets with a 4 Point harness in my Mini Cooper and loved the "feel" when driving, but this combination is not daily driver friendly and you have to watch what you eat so your *** dosent become too fat for them. Also, the Fury is not a gocart like the Mini was and that makes a big difference too...

525265713_441.JPG

The only suggestion I can make would be to have some custom foam cut to fit a pair of bucket seat frames then put new seat covers on that match the original style used on that car when it was made.

The only suggestion I can make would be to have some custom foam cut to fit a pair of bucket seat frames then put new seat covers on that match the original style used on that car when it was made.

that is a good suggestion! I had also thought about using new foam on the benchseat, form it a bit better on the "butt area" and then put a new cover on... but that sets one back almost $1000 and still dosent have the benefits of a sportsseat... hmm... ill keep looking!

Classic-Mini-Cobra-Seat-Fitting-26-1024x579.jpg

those are the cobra classic RS and I think they would look nice. As you see, more for british cars tho

Classic-Mini-Cobra-Seat-Fitting-26-1024x579.jpg

Personally I think aftermarket seats look ridiculous in an older car. I also think most new seats look out of place in a older car.....

I've had seats like that in cars we autocrossed and they are very uncomfortable for use on the street.

You might be able to use a newer car seat, but as Dave says, they look out of place. Look at plain Jane cars for something that might look OK...

I think the seats in my company car, Vlad the Impala, might actually look OK in an older Mopar. I keep meaning to see if the spacing on the twin posts of the head rest is the same as an old Mopar.

Thank you for all the input so far. I agree, and thats exactly the problem, finding something that does not look out of place, I have seen some really cool interiors with racing sport seats or bucket seats but it needs to fit the personality of the car. A big old c body just isnt a racing car and i feel like whatever you do to make it look like one the more redicolous it looks.

How about a set of buckets with headrests out of a fusey? It would look closer to period correct. If you have the funds for reupholster, you could have them covered to mimic the pattern of your rear bench.

If it were me, I'd get some seats from a SRT8 something and have them recovered in a more period correct upholstery.

If it were me, I'd get some seats from a SRT8 something and have them recovered in a more period correct upholstery.

A newer seat would definitely be easier to find. I think you would want a seat with minimal side bolsters maybe out of an older "new" 300

Back