second kick at the cat...

widowmakker

Reaction score
ok.. lets try this again... my name is joe and im from northern Ontario (where the cold zaps your brain so ive been told) lol...i am an industrial paint shop foreman and ive been in this field for more than 30 years now.. i have recently purchased my first classic mopar.. now just because ive never owned a mopar by no means suggest that ive never been down this road before.. ive owned and built plenty of older vehicles, lots of 60`s and 70`s impalas and 72 to 86 Chevy pick-ups a few Buicks, a Jeep and even a fast and furious Honda prelude(no really).. i did own a k-car and a mini van(do those count as a mopars)..(maybe not).. none of those have raised my blood pressure like this latest one, a 1970 dodge Polara convertible..i stumbled across this car a few months back.. the gentleman's health was failing and as a result so was his cars, so i took it off his hands and gave it a new loving home.. i drove it home almost 300 kms with no major issues just a few problems so i know what im up against (realistically no i dont)..so now to illustrate what im nattering about..
p005.jpge028.jpgi021.jpgp028.jpgp013.jpgp012.jpgp009.jpgp001.jpg

i did some initial tare down and got rid of some really nasty stuff mostly in the engine bay, more under the dash has a dedicated place in my garbage can soon..it has some bumps and bruises but it seems to be all there.. my intent is to do a restomod and not a full on factory resto.. i know this will ruffle some feathers but its my opinion`(and who am i in your world).. sorry if im hurting your feelings(not).. there are some things i don't like and some things i believe could be made better, and this i will try.. the 318 i was blessed with does not invoke an adrenaline rush (nope, not a bit..bad dog..what were you thinkin when you built a contry and planned a 3 donkey team to pull it around.. bad engineers..) so my first thought was big block right.....right..!! (well no.. um well still maybe a bit..)cause we all no that in the late 60`s and early 70`s they weren`t built for speed or performance (well mostly)..(remember those elevator shoes you wore.. need i say more).. i went in search of such an animal and was abruptly slapped (back hand like)..(ya..!).. so i then had something like an epiphany,, my x-bro-in-law has a set of 1965 273 closed chamber hipo heads with matching 4 barrel intake.. now i thought this could make some sense with a 340 cam (perhaps) and some other common tricks, cause im not building a wheel stander just a cruisin machine that smells of burnt rubber on occasion (my contribution so the next generation knows what that smells like).. HEY correct me if im out in left field takin a nap.. ivè compiled a short list of things that warrant my attention then things will be at a slower pace (cause im not made of money, devorce took care of the quite nicely thank-you)..who does`nt like that old smell and the look of cracks any ways, i will enjoy driving it as things get addressed.. i apologise in advance for the barrage of questions(some for my own curiosity and some to keep me from makin a mess if it.. (this will happen a time or three, i guarantee).. but all to inform me as i muddle through this build..stay tuned as spring arrives and i begin to get her ready for the road.. thx for havin me.. joe

p005.jpg

e028.jpg

i021.jpg

p028.jpg

p013.jpg

p012.jpg

p009.jpg

p001.jpg

Welcome again Joe and thank you for posting the photos...

You have Als old polara. First time I saw it on the internet was around 1999

Good luck with your project. I remember seeing photos of it in 99 and damn was I envious

Neat car. Nothing wrong with doing a "resto mod". We almost all have our little custom touches here and there.

Regarding the 273 heads. I don't think you are going to get any gain over the stock 318 heads. The port size and valve size aren't any larger (maybe smaller valves?) and sure don't flow more.

IMHO, if you want to keep the 318, you would be better off with some 360 heads and intake.

Joe, My 70 fury convertible has a 318. It has had the cam and has the 360. Exhaust manifolds from a sport fury. NAPA has rebuilt heads for $230 each list. This after a $150 core charge. The 318 wont pull stumps, but it will cruise all day long and get 24 mpg while doing 75 mph.
You have a nice car there.

Hey Joe, welcome and nice car. There's insanely smart people in the group and they're always willing to help dumb-asses like me. Besides, what else are you going to do for entertainment in Sudbury in winter?

Kool ride, welcome again!

looks like a pretty solid body. good luck with your project.

Nice to see Al's old car getting some love. Welcome aboard. I also have a 70 Polara rag with 318. Rebuilt but bone stock. It's the Dr. Jeckell to my 68 Monaco 500 Mr Hyde. Keep us posted.

Hey Joe! Thanks for posting some shots of your car. Looking forward to seeing some progress pictures as you move forward.

Glenn

Wow he really let that car go to S$%T....as far as I know he did nothing to it at all.
Only thing I can tell you is the frame was a bit weak in the rear.
AL

when i had spoken to him, i got the impression he wasn't interested in fixing things himself, so not much was done, unfortunately accept for funky under dash lights and a switch panel..oh and bookshelf speakers in the rear behind the roof opening.. i was told however, the exhaust was done by someone he had known that ran some kind of shop.. same guy put the right side manifold on (from something 72) has wrecking yard marks on it and now they both don't match... i had my buddy put it up on the hoist and give it a once over and had him mark the weak spots on the complete bottom of the car, when the rotten snow goes away i will weld in some new steel and make it strong again (but thanks for the heads up AL )..

Back