Sell or Restore 1960 New Yorker 4DR Sedan?

1960NewYorker413

Reaction score
Hi, my name is Christian and I am brand new to this site. I need some help and, after spending some time on this site, I knew this was the place to go. You all seem very knowledgeable and forthright, and I hope you won't mind taking a minute or two to share your thoughts.

I recently inherited a 1960 Chrysler New Yorker Sedan from my brother, who bought it for very little and was just starting to work on it before he passed. The car is 1/2 way across the country, and I have to make a decision on whether to restore it or sell it. Sure, I'd like to finish a project that my brother started and restore it, but I'm on a budget, have to move the car across the country, rent a shop to work on it, etc. etc. Plus, I have zero experience doing any of this and am very new to wrenching. On the bright side, I do have a close friend who used to be a mechanic and is very talented in that regard. He is willing to help me work through the restoration if I decide to go through with it.

That all said, I was wondering what some of your thoughts are as far as (1) how much time will it take to get the car to daily driver status and (2) probable cost.

In the meantime, the car seems very straight, chrome is in great condition, engine runs smooth, haven't tried the tranny beyond neutral and reverse (to go about 3 feet), and the interior will need some work. There is some surface rust, and there is some rust-through in the driver's floor pan and above each of the headlights.

I guess that's it for now. I look forward to your comments. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

SDC11955.jpgSDC11963.jpgSDC11962.jpgSDC11961.jpgSDC11960.jpgSDC11959.jpgSDC11958.jpgSDC11957.jpgSDC11956.jpgSDC11964.jpg

SDC11955.jpg

SDC11956.jpg

SDC11957.jpg

SDC11958.jpg

SDC11959.jpg

SDC11960.jpg

SDC11961.jpg

SDC11962.jpg

SDC11963.jpg

SDC11964.jpg

Last edited:
You should be positive about yourself really wanting to do the car, not only for the sake of your brother's pre-ownership, while understandable this won't keep you focused on the project to go through to the end. No own room which runs your costs up every month without even doing anything on the car, when you're on a budget already and dependence on others, no matter how relieable they are is also a con, you will need a knowlegable body man as well, there's always more to do than meets the eye and it will always cost more than you thought.
How far should this daily driver status go, just the severe rust done and the mechanicals overhauled, or with a complete repaint and redone interior, there's lots of money possible to sink into. The question should be: Would you have bought this car if it was for sale somewhere in your neighborhood to restore it ? So if you yourself wouldn't really like to own and restore such a car, I would sell it, I've seen way too many cars getting disassembled for resto and then sold and when they're in pieces they're even harder to sell and are prone to disappear completely by using them up as a parts car.

My 2 cents.

Last edited:
You must have Nike ads on this site.

cm23u0c is correct....

The just do it guy has had a car in the garage for years with nothing being done to it.......

I love your Chrysler yet my opinion would be walk away....

Welcome to the site

It may cost you more then a grand to move it for starters and from the looks of that interior alone, probably an unrealistic amount of money to even make it decent. If it were a coupe, I'd say give it a shot. It would be a very nice car all done up, I can see what your brother saw in it. Sorry for the loss of your brother, that's tough.
welcome to the site from the Motor City!

Just do it, - as in sell it. Everyone's a comedian these days -- although there appears to be an uncommonly high concentration of bozo types in the Hi Nella area these days.

State officials are still working to try and determine the cause.

Welcome aboard!

:sFl_america2:

I would take a different approach. If you wanted to enjoy your brother's car a while....... I would take your mechanic friend and do a safety assessment of the car. If you find that the brakes, steering, suspension, lights are in a safe working condition or cost a little to get it in that condition, I would drive it or tow it home. When you get it home, don't put another penny in it, drive it as is, enjoy it as long as it can be safely driven, enjoy your brother's dream a while and part it out after she can't be driven any more.

I'm with Bob, 110%.
Bring it home and think about it.
Then you'll know the answer in six months.
If in six months you start asking about where to get such and such part, it's a keeper.
The worst thing that can happen is that you'll make sure it goes to a good home.
Win-win. Bring'er home.

Last edited:
I'm with Bob, 110%.
Bring it home and think about it.
Then you'll know the answer in six months.
If in six months you start asking about where to get such and such part, it's a keeper.
The worst thing that can happen is that you'll make sure it goes to a good home.
Win-win. Bring'er home.

I would tend to agree with this thought.
Bring it home with the idea of doing just whats needed to drive and enjoy, the question of what to do beyond that will come to you. I love those cars but they are not the easiest to find parts and information on. (The forward look site can help).
Even the way it looks cosmetically will be a hit at any local cruise in or show. Folks will walk past a restored Camaro and stop at the Chrysler.
Keep in touch and let us know what you decide.
Will.

I guess I should have added at first that I do very much like the car, and I have already been researching parts. I learned about the cross-ram intake and that SMS has any interior fabric I may need. I also learned that many people on this site seem to think renting a welder and little practice may be enough to weld in a floor pan. My brother had a welder and tons of tools, so I won't necessarily be starting from scratch. So, I do like the car and would like to restore it. I'm leaning that way for sure. I just have never gone through it and know that you guys have forgotten more than I'll ever know. If anyone has experienced the pain and pride of a restoration, it's the men on this site. I'm still looking forward to more input. And in return, I'll let update this thread as often as possible with any new information. Thanks again for taking the time.

It may cost you more then a grand to move it for starters and from the looks of that interior alone, probably an unrealistic amount of money to even make it decent. If it were a coupe, I'd say give it a shot. It would be a very nice car all done up, I can see what your brother saw in it. Sorry for the loss of your brother, that's tough.
welcome to the site from the Motor City!

Thank you for your condolences. That was very kind of you.

Detroit huh? When I see your posts I'm going to think about Detroit Rock City!
Movin' fast, doin' 95
Hit top speed but I'm still movin' much too slow
I feel so good, I'm so alive
I hear my song playin' on the radio

Back