Sending unit Question

67-Fury

Reaction score
I was wondering if I Should buy a new sending unit I pulled out the gas tank and its very clean inside the tank but was wondering if I should replace the sending unit or keep it because I read on here that repos are not that good for C-Bodys and are cheaply made all input is appreciated
11166117_1043286642365583_1558711172_n.jpg

11166117_1043286642365583_1558711172_n.jpg

If it's not broke don't fix it!

Replace the sock and the float and reuse the rest? That's what I got from previous threads. I don't ha e a working gas gauge and want to do this at some point. Would hate to drop the tank to put in a crappy repop.

You 'do' have a grounding strap? Having one,properly placed will allow the gas gauge to work.

Glenn

use it if its good, but I did put a new one in my 68 fury - it is a driveway job - no need to drop the tank.

you do need the grounding clip.

where I had problems was with the new lock ring that came with the new sendo unit. the new one was not as thick as the original one and did not seal well. I used the old lock ring.

somewhere on this board I think I put a picture of the lock ring removal tool I made - basically a piece of PVC pipe with notches cut out that fit the lock ring. drilled a hole all the way thru the side of the pvc pipe to insert a bar or screwdriver so you can turn it. presto.

- saylor

You 'do' have a grounding strap? Having one,properly placed will allow the gas gauge to work.

Glenn

Didn't look, I'll climb under and clean the grease off to check. That would be seething if that's all it needs. Has never worked since I owned the car, and the only time I ran out of gas, last year, I told myself to stop as I passed the station.

use it if its good, but I did put a new one in my 68 fury - it is a driveway job - no need to drop the tank.

you do need the grounding clip.

where I had problems was with the new lock ring that came with the new sendo unit. the new one was not as thick as the original one and did not seal well. I used the old lock ring.

somewhere on this board I think I put a picture of the lock ring removal tool I made - basically a piece of PVC pipe with notches cut out that fit the lock ring. drilled a hole all the way thru the side of the pvc pipe to insert a bar or screwdriver so you can turn it. presto.

- saylor

Sending unit comes right out the front, doesn't it. I just glanced up at the line coming out and didn't even think a second thought about it, was only thinking about the exhaust. One track mind at the time. Thanks for pointing out the obvious that I missed. Amazing how that happens!

the car hasn't ran in about 20 yeas so I don't know if it works or not

the car hasn't ran in about 20 yeas so I don't know if it works or not
If that's the case then there's a good chance it's not going to work but as was stated, it's an easy item to replace.

Replace the sock and the float and reuse the rest?

Don't forget the gasket as well. I have found that the new gaskets are not a thick as original's and they will leak on you! What I did was use 2 gaskets on install, this will make it real tough to get the lock ring on but can be done. You will have a super tight seal at the tank. Good Luck

So this is what it looks like at the sending unit:

IMAG2525.jpg

It has the clips but no strap. Can I simply use a wire between the two clips?

Factory service manual says the other two nipples are ventilation lines, do I need to put a hose on the smaller one and where would I route it?

And the tank has a 25 gallon capacity? Damn, I thought I was getting better mileage! Oh well, I'll still drive it like I stole it.

Waiting patiently for your response.

IMAG2525.jpg

I added a 10 gauge wire between the clips. I'll let you know when I hook a battery up if that did it.

so the ground clip has to touch the sendo unit and the fuel line on the other side of the rubber connecto hose. you could make something up if you don't have a clip, but new clips are available.

try not to die.

- saylor

Back