Sense and nonsense of fender tags

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
I've come across this odd broadcast sheet location 3 times now. Always on 70-73 fuseys.
This one is off a 70 300. There is not much left of it,but it was located between pass front frame rail and front bumper bracket. What's left of paper on bumper bracket is unreadable but there.
Has anybody else here ever found a broadcast sheet sandwiched between frame and bracket?

View attachment 470501 View attachment 470502 View attachment 470503 I've come across this odd broadcast sheet location 3 times now. Always on 70-73 fuseys.
This one is off a 70 300. There is not much left of it,but it was located between pass front frame rail and front bumper bracket. What's left of paper on bumper bracket is unreadable but there.
Has anybody else here ever found a broadcast sheet sandwiched between frame and bracket?

Yes...it’s fairly common.

As those posts from the period between August, 28 and September 9 don't seem to be coming back, I'll repeat what @69CoronetRT and I were talking about. I contended V5X was standard available on the 1974 Fury III, although it was a separate entry on the windows sticker. @69CoronetRT showed that it was in fact an extra. The pages from the 1974 data book on this are:

74_Fury_(15).jpg

74_Plymouth_Tops_Accents_Stripes0009.jpg

74_Plymouth_Tops_Accents_Stripes0008.jpg

Leaving the somewhat confusing descriptions aside (at least, I got confused), @69CoronetRT is right.

Standard is
Fury II - a 3/4-length bright body side moulding
Fury III - a full-length bright body side moulding with black paint fill
Sales code for both types of mouldings: M33

Optional is
Fury II, Fury III - a 3/4-length black vinyl insert for those mouldings
Sales code: V5X
That's why it's shown that way in the drawing.

I've seen fender tags for Fury II with M33 and for Fury III with V5X and also a broadcast sheet for a Fury III with M33 and without V5X.

I assume that on broadcast sheets both codes can appear simultaneously, but that on fender tags V5X suppresses M33.

PS.
Or am I wrong on this one as well? The only pic of the Fury III with M33 on the broadcast sheet is inconclusive:

PH43K4F111X19-a.JPG

Last edited:
Looking at the F sales codes on fender tags for Formal police cars I find that F39 and F49 are not documented. At least, I couldn't find any description. F39 appears from 1973 on and F49 from 1974. They refer to optional items, not to items included in the A38 police package. What is more, there seems to have been no slot on the 1973-1976 broadcast sheet forms to insert these two codes, see the following snippets from the F Heavy Duty/Fleet section:

Series 1972 and 1973
38 Roof Light Reinf.
4- Roof Light Wiring
4- Add Dome Lamp
51 Dbl. Bot. Fuel Tank

Series 1974
38 Roof Light Reinf.
4- Roof Light Wiring
4- Add Dome Lamp
4-
51 Dbl. Bot. Fuel Tank

38 Roof Light Reinf.
4- Roof Light Wiring
4- Add Dome Lamp
4- Spotlight Reinf.
51 Dbl. Bot. Fuel Tank

38 Roof Light Reinf.
4- Roof Light Wiring
4- Add Dome Lamp
4- Spotlight Reinf.
5- Fuel Tank

Those 4- slots were used for F41, F42 and F43. And that's what the 1977 Chryco Sales Codes List says:

F38 Roof Reinf
F41 Roof Wiring - w/Hole
F42 Additional D/Lamp
F43 Reinf For Plr S/Lites
F51 Double Bottom F/Tank

Anybody?

Last edited:
Looking at the F sales codes on fender tags for Formal police cars I find that F39 and F49 are not documented.

Anybody?

Is there a question or are you looking for input on your observation or ????

The main question is: "Does somebody know more about these sales codes?"

An additional question would be: "How come these regularly used codes have no slot reserved for them on the broadcast sheet?"

The main question is: "Does somebody know more about these sales codes?"

An additional question would be: "How come these regularly used codes have no slot reserved for them on the broadcast sheet?"

Coding quirks exist. Coding parameters change. There are a lot of things that are still unknown and we have to dig to find out the answers.

Determining the application or meaning can be tricky when limited data exists (Folks, we have to SAVE tag, broadcast sheets, window stickers and factory documents for questions just like this one)

Thoughts...

1) If a code is on the tag, it's there under typical guidelines of a modification to the body in white. As these are fleet codes associated with 'police' cars, they probably mean a modification to the BIW similar to other F series codes. Meaning your description could be similar to a known code but a variation on the code....or not.

2) Not all items on a broadcast sheet may appear on a tag. Not all items on a tag may appear on a broadcast sheet. If the item is a standard item for that particular make or model, it may or may not not be coded on either. It's, sometimes, unnecessary and redundant to list standard items.

3) The item in question may only appear with and is contingent on another code. This also means it is not an optional item that can be ordered per se by the customer or factory but is a required modification or addition based on another code. Meaning you will not find a description in the traditional sources of sales codes nor would it be listed on the BS.

4) Is the code in question an either/or code or an if/then situation? Run a correlation between the codes and other codes. Do the codes always, sometimes or never appear with other codes?

5) Do they always/sometimes/never appear on a particular body style (say 41 vs 23), plant or date range?

Research continues.

A while back (see post #171) we had a discussion on sales code P39, likewise not documented and only rarely seen. The idea was to interpret it as "special window wiring". The 9 in codes often stands for something special, just think of Y39 "Special Order", 999 "Special Body Color" etc.

So F39 and F49 most likely also indicate some specially ordered item. That also explains why they don't show up in code lists and in broadcast sheet slot labels.

A while back (see post #171) we had a discussion on sales code P39, likewise not documented and only rarely seen. The idea was to interpret it as "special window wiring". The 9 in codes often stands for something special, just think of Y39 "Special Order", 999 "Special Body Color" etc.

So F39 and F49 most likely also indicate some specially ordered item. That also explains why they don't show up in code lists and in broadcast sheet slot labels.
Does it? That’s conjecture.

Yes, it is conjecture.

The 1977 Chryco Sales Codes list <1977 Chryco Sales Codes List> has only these codes ending in 9, five out of which are related to special order items ("Spl"):

D69 Spl Ord Axle
S79 Part/Horn Ring Stg Whl
T99 Spl Order - 14" Tires
U29 GR78 x 15 WSW F/Belt Rad
U39 GR70 x 15 RWL Aramid B/Rad
U99 Spl Order - 15" Tires
V09 Spl Order Paint
Y39 Special Order
Y89 New Car Pre-Serv - Windsor

Then you have the Z section, where every code is decoded as "Spl".

Given the numerous possibilties in the list of having a code ending in 9, that's a modest result. Edit on: I mean to say that normal, documented sales codes ending in 9 seem to be avoided: Edit off. That the number 9 has a special meaning in Chryco coding practice, is clear. As a further example, the seating code on 1975-1977 Plymouth police units can start with this number, eg.
(1975) 91B6
(1976) 97Y3
(1977) 97B3

"Normal" seating codes start with a letter. And again, the Color And Trim Books don't say anything about codes starting with 9.

That's why I start from the assumption that F39 and F49 are most likely undocumented special-order items.

Last edited:
Yes, it is conjecture.

The 1977 Chryco Sales Codes list <1977 Chryco Sales Codes List> has only these codes ending in 9, five out of which are related to special order items ("Spl"):

D69 Spl Ord Axle
S79 Part/Horn Ring Stg Whl
T99 Spl Order - 14" Tires
U29 GR78 x 15 WSW F/Belt Rad
U39 GR70 x 15 RWL Aramid B/Rad
U99 Spl Order - 15" Tires
V09 Spl Order Paint
Y39 Special Order
Y89 New Car Pre-Serv - Windsor

Then you have the Z section, where every code is decoded as "Spl".

Given the numerous possibilties in the list of having a code ending in 9, that's a modest result. Edit on: I mean to say that normal, documented sales codes ending in 9 seem to be avoided: Edit off. That the number 9 has a special meaning in Chryco coding practice, is clear. As a further example, the seating code on 1975-1977 Plymouth police units can start with this number, eg.
(1975) 91B6
(1976) 97Y3
(1977) 97B3

"Normal" seating codes start with a letter. And again, the Color And Trim Books don't say anything about codes starting with 9.

That's why I start from the assumption that F39 and F49 are most likely undocumented special-order items.

Let's stay focused and stay on the original topic of codes on fender tags from specific plants during specific years and not branch off too far to an ancillary topic just yet.

Go back to my response of 188.

Consider point 3.

Did you run correlations as noted in 4 and 5? What's our level of confidence in the data based on our sample size?

Where is the documentation the codes in question were positive choice items by the buyer? Order sheet? Window sticker? Invoice? ADSN?

Did the item or process cost more? If they are an additional cost item, they will be accounted for in consumer sales paperwork.

We know they are not on a broadcast sheet so how was this choice communicated to the assembly line other than the fender tag? The fender tag was a way to communicate BIW prep or assembly; not sales related information. Meaning you will need to explain how positive choice items that affect assembly and, presumably, carry an additional charge, or possibly credit if they indicate a deletion, show up on a fender tag but are not accounted for on paperwork.

Conjecture and hypothesis are good things as they lead us to new discoveries but they must be supported by known data and facts. Does enough evidence exists to lead us to any conclusions?

The database is woefully small, as ever. I see F49 on fender tags from 1973 (1x), 1974 (1x), 1975 (3x), 1976 (1x) and 1977 (4x). On four occasions, F39 also appears. So you could say that F39 is dependent on F49 being present.

All these fender tags are from marked police vehicles. Unmarked police cars were not found with these codes.

As to additional documentation, that's virtually non-existent. For the ex North Carolina Highway Patrol car with VIN PH41U7D185042 that was repainted in New York State Police livery you have the broadcast sheet, but it's not very readible:

77-PH41U7D185042-f.jpg

1977 broadcast sheets allow for all sales codes to be included, because the slots are not labeled, like they were in previous years. Here's the fender tag for comparison (I didn't draw the boxes):

77-185042-PH41U7D185042-b.jpg

Other documentation consists of pics and seller's descriptions.

Last edited:
This is my go at the relevant section on broadcast sheet for the ex North Carolina Highway Patrol car. Corrections and additions welcome!

There are sixteen codes in the F section, four of which return on the fender tag: F39, F43, F49, F58.

F |17|2?|??|4?|4?|4?|4?|??|58|61|66|
F |??|88|92|94|95|

Upper line:
Box 1 contains the alternator code. F17 is the 100 Amp Alt "heavy duty", a standard item on police cars.
Box 2 has a code for the battery. It starts with "2" and maybe the second digit is "7" for F27 500 Amp Bat "Long Life", standard on 1977 police cars.
Box 3, the one with the pencil stroke, should contain 39, as the car never had spot lights, so no 33, 35, 36 or 37. Another possibility would have been 38 for F38 Roof Reinf, which was optional on police cars. But then the content of box 4 makes no sense.
Box 4 has the first code starting with "4", but the second digit is not "1" ("1" is mostly recognizable on the sheet). Maybe "2"? The car has the additional dome light, code F42.
Boxes 5-7 also seem to start with "4", possibly 43 44 49. F43 and F49 are on the fender tag, but F44 would be another unknown code.
Box 8 is possibly 56, so maybe F56 Anti-Freeze 35 Minus, standard on police cars.
Box 9 has a code that's also on the fender tag, F58 Rr C/M Reinf Or Welds, another standard item on police cars.
Box 10 61 for F61 Ft W/Hse H/Temp Seal
Box 11 66 for F66 H/Spd A/C Cut Off Sw, standard on police cars.

Lower line:
Box 1 No idea!
Box 2 88 for F88 Eng Oil Cooler, optional on police cars.
Boxes 3-5 contain further standard police car items.

Last edited:
For ease of reference, I might just as well decipher the complete sales codes part of the broadcast sheet in post #193. Square brackets indicate conjectures based on what should be there. When possible I confronted the sales code descriptions with items mentioned in the 1977 Plymouth Police Cars brochure or the 1977 Plymouth Data Book. Standard/optional relates to the A38 package or to the Brougham trim level. Notes contain confirmations or contradictions between the codes and what is actually on the car.

Edit: "Undocumented" means I couldn't find any info in 1977-related material at my disposal (Data Book, Color And Trim options, Sales Code List printed on the back of the broadcast sheet, order sheet and window stickers.

There are some surprises for sales code buffs.

Corrections and additions welcome! Two old ads with pics (at ClassicCars.com and Classiccardb.com) may be helpful.

A Pkgs
|??|
?? [A38 Police Pkg]; optional

B Brake
|??|??|??|
?? [B12 HD Ft Disc Brk], cfr. Standard brakes ... are power-assisted heavy-duty front disc; standard
?? [B28 11 x 2.5 Rr Brakes], cfr. Rear brakes are drum-type with self-adjusters, 11" x 2-1/2"; standard
?? [B42 HD - Pwr Disc Ft/Drm Rr], cfr. Brakes - Heavy-duty Police-type semi-metallic, disc front, drum rear; standard

C Trim
|15|??|81|83|??|
C15 Spl Sound Insul - Type I
?? [C54 S/Back Bench - Ctr A/R], cfr. Seats, Split Bench with Folding Center Armrest; standard
C81 Seat Spgs - HD Frt, cfr. Seat Cushion, Front - Heavy-duty; standard
C83 Seat Spgs - HD Rr, cfr. Seat - Heavy-duty rear; optional
?? [C95 HD Flr Mats - Blk - Ft/Rr], cfr. Heavy-Duty Floor Mats, black only; optional

F Fleet
|17|2?|??|4?|4?|44|4?|??|58|61|66|
|??|88|92|94|95|
F17 100 Amp Alt, cfr. Alternator - 100-ampere heavy duty; standard
2? [F27 500 Amp Bat], cfr. Battery - 500 ampere (85 ampere hours) with Thermo-Guard heat shield; standard w/E86 440 8 Cyl - 4 Bbl
?? [F39 not documented], cfr. F39 on the fender tag
4? [F42 Additional D/Lamp], cfr. Additional domelight (with switch); optional
4? [F43 Reinf For Plr S/Lites], cfr. F43 on the fender tag; standard
F44 not documented
4? [F49 not documented], cfr. F49 on the fender tag
?? [F56 Anti-Freeze 35 Minus], cfr. Antifreeze for minus 35 deg. F; standard
F58 Rr C/M Reinf Or Welds, cfr. Structural Reinforcement and additional welds; standard
F61 Ft W/Hse H/Temp Seal
F66 H/Spd A/C Cut Off Sw, cfr. Automatic air-conditioner high-speed cut-off switch; standard
?? [F83 S/Stl Hose Clamps], cfr. Stainless-Steel Hose Clamps - Screw-type; optional
F88 Eng Oil Cooler, cfr. Engine Oil Cooler; optional
F92 Thermo Ign Vac Valve, cfr. Thermostatic Ignition Control Valve; standard
F94 P/Stg Pump Oil Cooler, cfr. Power Steering Pump Cooler; standard
F95 Cert Speedometer, cfr. Speedometer - Certified calibrated 140 mph; standard
NB. The car has the additional dome light.
NB. The car does have roof wiring, normally indicated by F41.

G Glass
|11|41|52|??|??|
G11 Tinted Glass - All, cfr. Tinted Glass - All windows; optional
G41 Prismatic Rr View Mir, cfr. Inside Rearview, Day-Night; standard
G52 Lt O/S Mir R/Chrm - Conv, cfr. Mirrors, Outside, Left, Remote-Control; optional
?? [G63 Rt O/S Mir R/Chrm - Conv], cfr. Mirror outside, remote; optional
?? [G73 Dual Mirs R/Chrm - Conv], cfr. Mirrors, Outside, Left and Right, Remote Control; optional

H Ht/Ac
|?1|51|
?1 [H31 Rr Wdo Defogger], cfr. Defroster - Rear window - blower type; optional
H51 Air Condtg w/Ft Htr, cfr. Air Conditioning; optional

I Cr'dt

J Misc
|11|15|21|25|31|52|55|93|
J11 Glove Box Lock, cfr. Glove Box Lock; standard
J15 Cigar Lighter - Inst/Pnl, cfr. Cigarette Lighter - Instrument Panel; standard
J21 Electric Clock, cfr. Clock, Electric - Sweep Second Hand; optional
J25 W/Shield Wipers - 3 Spd, cfr. Windshield Wipers, Deluxe 3-Speed; optional
J31 Dual Horns, cfr. Horns - Dual; standard
J52 Hood Rel - Instr Pnl Mtd, cfr. Inside Hood Release; standard
J55 U/Coat w/Hood Pad, cfr. Undercoating and Hood Insulator Pad; optional
J93 Insrt/Pnl - Type 3
NB. 3-speed windshield wipers normally come in the A03 W/Shield Wiper Pkg.

L Lites
|11|25|55|61|62|
L11 Glove Box Lamp, cfr. Lights, Glove Box; standard
L25 Trunk Cmpt Lamp, cfr. Lights, Trunk Compartment; standard
L55 H/Duty Stop Lamp Sw, cfr. Stop Light Switch - Heavy-duty; standard
L61 Dome Lamp Sw - Rr/Door, cfr. Lights, Door Light Switch, Rear; optional
L62 A/C H/Pres Cutout Sw, cfr. Automatic high-pressure safety cut-off switch; standard

M Mldgs
|15|21|25|26|31|39|81|83|85|
M15 Dr/Qtr Upr Frm Mldgs, cfr. Moldings, Door Upper Frame; standard
M21 Drip Trough Mldgs, cfr. Moldings, Roof; standard
M25 Sill Mldg, cfr. Bright sill molding; standard
M26 Wheel Lip Mldgs, cfr. Moldings, Wheel Opening; standard
M31 Belt Mldgs - Dr/Qtr, cfr. Moldings, Belt; standard
M39 not documented
M81 Ft Bumper Guards, cfr. Front bumper guards, ... are standard on all models
M83 Rr Bumper Guards, cfr. rear bumper guards, are standard on all models
M85 Bumper Guards Ft/Rr
NB. The car does not have rear bumper guards.

N E/Acc
|37|41|51|55|75|94|
N37 Catalytic Exh/System; standard
N41 Dual Exhaust; standard w/E86 440 8 Cyl - 4 Bbl
N51 Max Cooling, cfr. Cooling - Max. capacity radiator; standard
N55 Catalytic Lwr H/Shield, cfr. Grass Shield for catalytic converter; standard
N75 Auxiliary Oil Cooler, cfr. Transmission, Auxiliary Oil Cooler; standard
N94 ESA w/Catalyst; optional

P Power
|39|
P39 not documented
NB. The car does have power windows, normally indicated by P31.

R Radio
|?1|39|
?1 [R31 Single Rr Seat Speaker], cfr. Rear Speaker, Single; optional
R39 not documented
NB. The car has dual rear seat speakers, normally indicated by R32.

S S/Stg
|16|24|41|42|75|??|
S16 HD/S - Ft S/B - Ft ISO
S24 Monroe - Class V Shks, cfr. Special Handling Package ... heavy-duty shock absorbers 1-3/16" front and 1-3/8" rear; standard
S41 Rear Sway Bar, cfr. Special Handling Package ... front and rear sway bar; standard
S42 Front Sway Bar, cfr. Special Handling Package ... front and rear sway bar; standard
S75 Police Pwr Strg, cfr. Power Steering, firm-type Police; standard
?? [S79 Part/Horn Ring Stg Whl], cfr. Steering Wheel with partial horn ring, black only; optional

W W/Cov
|01|55|96|
W01 Hub Caps, cfr. Hubcaps; standard
W55 Body Color-Road Wheels
W96 15 x 6.5 HD Blk Road Whl, cfr. Wide heavy-duty wheels, 15" x 6.5JJ; standard

X Exp/C

Y Veh/D
|21|35|96|
Y21 Spl Hdr And Tag Instruct
Y35 not documented
Y96 10 Gallons Of Gas
NB. Y39 Special Order is noted in line 1 at the top of the broadcast sheet

Z Wgt
|?9|??|
?9
??

Last edited:
Y35 is an accounting code; it’s documented. Gotta have the right documents!

What is more, there seems to have been no slot on the 1973-1976 broadcast sheet forms to insert these two codes ...

We know they are not on a broadcast sheet ...

Actually also before the introduction of the 1977 broadcast sheet format unknown codes could be inserted in the broadcast sheet. Take a look at the one for DK41U5D191441, in your possession. There are three codes ending in "9" that are inserted in slots normally used for other codes:

F7- Keys, normally containing "1" or "2", actually has "9"
F96 Oil/Temp Gauge, normally containing "6", actually has "9"
J55 Undercoat, normally containing "5", actually has "9"

Same thing on this snippet from a broadcast sheet for a 1972 Polara police car, where

N77 Aux. Vac. Reser. has a "9" instead of the expected "7":

72-200759-DK41T2D200759-a.JPG

72-200759-DK41T2D200759-b.JPG

As I see it, in these cases a code ending in "9" comunicates a modification of a known and expected code.

Last edited:
Actually also before the introduction of the 1977 broadcast sheet format unknown codes could be inserted in the broadcast sheet. Take a look at the one for DK41U5D191441, in your possession. There are three codes ending in "9" that are inserted in slots normally used for other codes:

As I see it, in these cases a code ending in "9" comunicates a modification of a known and expected code.

Let's stay focused and stay on the original topic of codes on fender tags from specific plants during specific years and not branch off too far to an ancillary topic just yet.

We know they are not on a broadcast sheet so how was this choice communicated to the assembly line other than the fender tag? The fender tag was a way to communicate BIW prep or assembly; not sales related information. Meaning you will need to explain how positive choice items that affect assembly and, presumably, carry an additional charge, or possibly credit if they indicate a deletion, show up on a fender tag but are not accounted for on paperwork.

Again, stay focused on the original topic and please do not take my comments out of context. The topic, and my reply, was the codes on tag not listed the associated same year BS. We're not talking about earlier years and coding. We're discussing the original observation of codes on the tag.

First, I need to correct myself: in one case F39 appears on a fender tag without F49 being present, so that connection doesn't hold.

Second, if you mean that the undocumented codes do not appear in the sales code list on the back of the 1977 broadcast sheet, that's correct and that's why I call them undocumented.

But they are used in the broadcast sheet for the 1977 ex NCHP car itself, see codes F39, F49, M39, P39 and possibly also R39 in the transcription above. Okay, the first two are conjectures, but the other three are fairly clear. F44, another undocumented code, is an outsider in this group.

For P39 already earlier on the conclusion was drawn that it probably refers to a special set-up of the power windows. The car does have power windows, yet the broadcast sheet contains no P31.

The car also has roof light wiring, yet the broadcast sheet contains no F41. So some other code must refer to it, the likely candidates being F44 and F49.

The assertions on the presence of roof light wiring and power windows are based on the seller's text.

The idea of this roof wiring possibly being somehow different comes straight from the 1977 Plymouth Police Cars brochure, page 9, that spells out various special roof wiring and wiring access holes options, to be had on special order.

As to how all this information was communicated back in the 1977 model year to the work floor, I have no idea. I am just working with some fragments of documentation that I could get hold of on this side of the pond. I do have an idea about how they did in the years before that, and that's why I insist on referring to that situation as well.

Last edited:
Back