Sheet metal Interchange Compatability

BLUPORT

Carpe Diem Cras
Reaction score
So, my local body guy is constantly behind schedule when it comes to making some trunk extensions for my 68 Newport, I was just wondering if anyone knows off the top of their heads, can I use extensions from any other C-Slabs, or am I stuck with finding a 1968 Newport 2-door donor? Will T.E.'s from a 4-door work? What about a 300 or New Yorker? I'm tired of not using the trunk out of fear that something will fall over, and out the holes.

Based on the parts manuals it looks like the extensions for your car are 68 only but valid for any Chrysler. That doesn't mean that with some modifications, other 67 or 68 extensions couldn't be made to work.

From the 68 Parts Catalog

upload_2019-4-26_13-8-0.png

upload_2019-4-26_13-7-17.png

From the 67 Parts Catalog

upload_2019-4-26_13-12-50.png

upload_2019-4-26_13-13-42.png

upload_2019-4-26_13-15-0.png

I wonder if we have any members who'd be interested in making a set...?

So, my local body guy is constantly behind schedule when it comes to making some trunk extensions for my 68 Newport, I was just wondering if anyone knows off the top of their heads, can I use extensions from any other C-Slabs, or am I stuck with finding a 1968 Newport 2-door donor? Will T.E.'s from a 4-door work? What about a 300 or New Yorker? I'm tired of not using the trunk out of fear that something will fall over, and out the holes.

The trunk lid, extensions, trunk floor and lower quarter radii are the same on a 2dr or 4dr Newport for '68. The rear window channels do not interchange, nor does the rear sill.

Dave

Perfect. I am trying to avoid C2C, but I'm out of local options.

Sadly my body guy is always behind schedule, i have to stay on top of it on how my car is coming along but insurance jobs pays more, i just want my car back and not leak with the new floor pans installed... And minor floor holes repaired

He had it since November

Sadly my body guy is always behind schedule, i have to stay on top of it on how my car is coming along but insurance jobs pays more, i just want my car back and not leak with the new floor pans installed... And minor floor holes repaired

He had it since November
In January, he told me he'd make them "in 2 weeks" when he finished an Impala. I went by again, and it was "in 2 weeks when I finish this old Ford." After that it was, "in 2 weeks when I finish this truck.." rinse and repeat for almost 5 months. I have been practicing GMAW, and I figure I should be able to tackle the metalwork once I actually have some panels, I just don't want to buy a bunch of metalworking tools for MAKING the extensions, that I'll only use once.

My body guy said he could make them from scratch by mapping out the grooves and pounding them in using the expansion joint in the garage floor and a variety of steel bars and hammers.

Unless you are looking for restoration perfect these can be made by putting the metal in a brake and bending, there isn't much to them.

This is the Other Polara I had, my first ever welding project. This was a salvaged piece but I could have made them if needed, there isn't really any shape to these unlike the outer piece.
2010-05-02_01.jpg

Alan

My body guy said he could make them from scratch by mapping out the grooves and pounding them in using the expansion joint in the garage floor and a variety of steel bars and hammers.

Unless you are looking for restoration perfect these can be made by putting the metal in a brake and bending, there isn't much to them.

This is the Other Polara I had, my first ever welding project. This was a salvaged piece but I could have made them if needed, there isn't really any shape to these unlike the outer piece.
View attachment 281329

Alan

I'm not looking for an original restoration replacement, I just want something that looks decent. I'll be priming, painting, and spatter paint coating it when I'm done.

No offense, try another body guy. If he keeps pushing it off, he probably doesn't care about doing it. If I kept hearing "in two weeks" every time I talked to him, I wouldn't keep talking to him. If he doesn't want your money, give it to someone else.

No offense, try another body guy. If he keeps pushing it off, he probably doesn't care about doing it. If I kept hearing "in two weeks" every time I talked to him, I wouldn't keep talking to him. If he doesn't want your money, give it to someone else.
That's what I'm doing here, I can't find anyone else in the area for fabrication.

Nope. It's a Military town.
Plenty of military guys on FABO whip up some pretty amazing stuff like it was nothing. Put a couple of feelers out for a fab guy. Never know, and you're already waiting so it's not more lost time. Good luck!

Plenty of military guys on FABO whip up some pretty amazing stuff like it was nothing. Put a couple of feelers out for a fab guy. Never know, and you're already waiting so it's not more lost time. Good luck!

I've been spreading the word at work. (I work on base) I may try posting in the FB marketplace, and see what happens. I'll use a picture of my car as clickbait.

(I'm looking at you, @cbarge )

You know you'd love to make another set of extensions to sell me!
Thanks,I am humbled.
I am no expert. I had help too.
Basically copied from the old ones.
If I still had my shop I would fab a set.
But no place to work out of for now.
If you have nice used ones, use them.
67 and 68 should be the same.

BARGE ON A BUDGET 039.jpg

BARGE ON A BUDGET 096.jpg

BARGE ON A BUDGET 098.jpg

BARGE ON A BUDGET 099.jpg

BARGE ON A BUDGET 318.jpg

Back