Shift selector on my 1965 Chrysler 300

65chrys300

Reaction score
Shift selector on my 1965 Chrysler 300 (pics added)

So I recently purchased my first classic Mopar and had a question...

My column shifter seems to be off and I can't find reverse sometimes??

When the car is cold I can find reverse but it makes this mechanical clicking type sound when I try to use it. When the car is hot it's damn near impossible to find reverse. I tried adjusting the cable under the steering column but that did not seem to help. Before the adjustment my car would go into first but the indicator would show that I'm in 2nd. When I'm in drive it's right at the beginning of the N for neutral. My reverse, when it works, seems to engage at the K in Park.

Can anybody chime in and let me know what direction I need to go in? I'm new to this hobby and could use some advice..

Last edited:
Welcome!

:worthless_thread:

It sounds like your Gearshift Cable or your Kickdown Linkage is/are out of adjustment. Here are the pages from the FSM describing both adjustments:

Gearshift Adjustment:
Tranny-1.jpg

Kickdown Linkage Adjustment:
ThrottleandKickdownAdjustment.jpg

I've also got a '65 300 ('vert). I've got a bunch of pics profiling the restoration here: http://www.forcbodiesonly.com/mopar-forum/showthread.php?t=212

If you plan on keeping this car for a while I highly recommend getting yourself a Factory Service Manual. They are fairly inexpensive and can be found on eBay.

Hello Rexus, thank you for the reply.

Is there a setting that I need to enable on this forum to see pictures/links? The Gearshift adjustment and Kickdown Linkage look don't show anything. When I click the link to view your post it looks blank??

I actually purchased a manual from Faxon last week, I'm just waiting for it to come in:)

I'll post up pictures later when I get home...

Hmmm....not sure about the setting on the site. When I click the link it opens in a new window. Not sure why you can't see the images in my post. :dontknow:

Finally!!..I can see the pictures, guess the security settings on my browser at work are set kind of high..

Again, thanks for the articles and the links...got some reading to do!:read2:

I'll try and dig up those pictures tonight:D

Well, here's my new boat...

It's a three owner California car and all original. The original owner bought it brand new in 1965, I have the business card of the salesman who sold her the car and other assorted paperwork to go along with it. The car supposedly sat for the past 15-20 years, the previous owner bought it and got it running then decided to sell for whatever reason. Car seems great to me, just gotta fix this transmission problem. No other issues whatsoever. Just needs a little TLC...

front-2.jpg

back-1.jpg

side-1.jpg

Sweet survivor; looks like a great starting point. I think I saw this car on eBay no too long ago? Where are you located?

Wow, curb feelers.:eusa_think: Haven't seen those in ........ forever.

Yeah, part of me wants to take those off but the other says leave em on...they've been there since the 60's. I remember seeing these on cars when I was a kid growing up in the Excelsior in SF....kinda nostalgic I guess..

Yeah, part of me wants to take those off but the other says leave em on...they've been there since the 60's. I remember seeing these on cars when I was a kid growing up in the Excelsior in SF....kinda nostalgic I guess..
I'd be looking for those ground straps with the reflector on them to go with the curb feelers.

Well, it turns out my cable was just plain bad. I tried adjusting it a couple times but could never just get it. I took it to a shop that adjusted it perfectly but it went out within an hour or so...cable wouldn't hold the setting. New cable in, works perfect now...

Nice score :wav: From the pics I can't see any cosmetic issues with it. IMHO leave the curb feelers and leave well enough alone. What are your plans after you fix the linkage?

Nice score :wav: From the pics I can't see any cosmetic issues with it. IMHO leave the curb feelers and leave well enough alone. What are your plans after you fix the linkage?

Just plan on slowly restoring it, I just picked up an interior kit from Legendary, they have a 15% off plus free shipping deal going on right now.

Plan on going dual exhaust..we'll see from there...

Back