shifter marker - 68 newport

1960dart

Reaction score
My Newport "automatic" shift indicator will not operate and shows it is in the second gear position. I realize it is not connected to the column shift lever as I can sort of see the linkages and can move the indicator by its lever and can see the column lever moving as well. My problem is I cannot see "how" they would actually connect to each other. I have the dash opened up to the speedometer and moved it a little out of the way to see the linkage but don't want to disconnect it all if I don't have to.

If anybody knows how they connect that would be a great help as it is a very tight area.

I searched the forums but didn't get any hits on this problem.

Thanks

I knew I should've taken pictures when I just had my dash apart. This is your lucky day. The dash I have in my shed had the parts for the shift indicator still in it.

gear indicator linkage.jpg

Just imagine that your steering column isn't in the car and you could slide down on the floor so that your left arm is still by the drivers door.

(1) is the rod that comes out of the gauge cluster. It runs parallel to the steering column toward the firewall.

(2) is the linkage that extends down around the passenger side of the steering column. There is a nut and bolt that goes through the slot of the linkage, it is adjustable.

If you move the shifter down to first gear it may make it easier for you to hook the linkage up.

Last edited:
I knew I should've taken pictures when I just had my dash apart. This is your lucky day. The dash I have in my shed had the parts for the shift indicator still in it.

View attachment 138404

Just imagine that your steering column isn't in the car and you could slide done on the floor so that your left arm is still by the drivers door.

(1) is the rod that comes out of the gauge cluster. It runs parallel to the steering column toward the firewall.

(2) is the linkage that extends down around the passenger side of the steering column. There is a nut and bolt that goes through the slot of the linkage, it is adjustable.

If you move the shifter down to first gear it may make it easier for you to hook the linkage up.
I love it when someone beats me to the punch.

View attachment 138404

Just imagine that your steering column isn't in the car and you could slide down on the floor so that your left arm is still by the drivers door.

John, That is a great photo of the missing piece, at least now I know what I am looking for. Upon further investigation I found that another piece, the one that attaches to the steering column/shifter lever that moves this missing piece is broken so I will need to find a replacement for that piece as well. I fear to replace these pieces when I find them I may have to pull the steering column out of the car.

Sorry for the tardy reply, Holidays :)

It might be shown in the service manual. Grab a copy here: MyMopar - Mopar Forums & Information - Service Manuals

Parts manual might show a breakdown too. Get one here: MyMopar - Mopar Forums & Information - Parts & Accessories Books
Thanks for the links, the service manual is awesome. The parts book is a bit of a nightmare to go through though online. I was not able to find these missing pieces but I bet if I had the book in my hand it would be easier to locate them. ha
It might be shown in the service manual. Grab a copy here: MyMopar - Mopar Forums & Information - Service Manuals

Parts manual might show a breakdown too. Get one here: MyMopar - Mopar Forums & Information - Parts & Accessories Books
Thanks for the links. The Service Manual is awesome but the parts book is hard to look at. If I had it in my hand I may have been able to find the parts but online I found it very difficult and never found the parts. Thanks again

John, That is a great photo of the missing piece, at least now I know what I am looking for. Upon further investigation I found that another piece, the one that attaches to the steering column/shifter lever that moves this missing piece is broken so I will need to find a replacement for that piece as well. I fear to replace these pieces when I find them I may have to pull the steering column out of the car.

Sorry for the tardy reply, Holidays :)

I'm not sure about the piece on the column, but you definitely don't need to pull the column to get the part #2 into place. maybe make a hook out of mechanics wire to grab the metal rod to pull it over where you can work with it.

View attachment 138404

This may sound like a stupid question but does the backup light switch hook into the shifter assembly as I have no backup lights but don't have a clue as to where the switch would be and thought this was a logical location for it.

Should be on the transmission itself.

The neutral safety switch will have 3 wires. One is the ground connection to the starter relay that allows the car to start in P or N. The other two should have continuity when the car is in reverse, and allow the reverse lights to come on.

This may sound like a stupid question but does the backup light switch hook into the shifter assembly as I have no backup lights but don't have a clue as to where the switch would be and thought this was a logical location for it.
The reverse light switch is on the shifter.

Should be on the transmission itself.

The neutral safety switch will have 3 wires. One is the ground connection to the starter relay that allows the car to start in P or N. The other two should have continuity when the car is in reverse, and allow the reverse lights to come on.
That's only 1969 and newer.

1968 NSS only has one wire going to it.

The reverse light switch should be at the very end of the column at the firewall. It is activated by a plastic pin the is a one time use part and is hard to come by. I need a new one. The switch makes in the middle of its stroke and has a little bit of adjustment in its metal housing. One thing that helped me when working on my switch was noticing that there is a place to insert a straightened out paperclip or such to hold the spring loaded switch in place while you position it on the correct side of the pin. Then once in place remove the straight wire.

Back