Shipping a hood - Pittsburgh to Atlanta

jason99

Reaction score
Anyone have experience, good or bad, with shipping a hood? What did it cost? I found one, but it isn't local to me and I don't have a vehicle it would fit in so I can't just make a road trip out of it.

-Jason

Jason I just had a complete Imperial dashboard shipped in a crate for $150.00 at Fastenal. I shopped around and hands down best price and experience. New England to Minnesota. I imagine if you had seller make a custom wooden crate to protect the hood it might be a similar cost? Shape is different. 80-100 lbs for my shipped crate.

I’ll second Fastenal, but the shipper has to be willing to strap it to a pallet and bring it to a location with a fork lift. FWIW, I brought a hood to Carlisle strapped to the roof of my Toyota, and it was picked up by a guy with a minivan. It can be done, even with a stub frame.

4C9E3F21-AB15-431A-BA0A-1ECA45877DDE.jpeg

I had a hood, stub frame, and many other parts for a 69 Fury shipped from WA to Pittsburgh and it wasn't that expensive. I also used Fastinal. Again, the shipper will have to palletize it and get it to a Fastinal location. Go to Fastinal's website and you can find out which store can ship it and to which store you can receive.

I have to tell you, they did it but the stores weren't impressed with the size of the crate. :D

I’ll second Fastenal, but the shipper has to be willing to strap it to a pallet and bring it to a location with a fork lift. FWIW, I brought a hood to Carlisle strapped to the roof of my Toyota, and it was picked up by a guy with a minivan. It can be done, even with a stub frame.

View attachment 212917

I wouldn't want to be behind that guy on a bumpy road (all of ours are up here in Canada) except the freshly paved ones which generally crack after one winter. Was that one thin red strap the only thing holding the load?

I wouldn't want to be behind that guy on a bumpy road (all of ours are up here in Canada) except the freshly paved ones which generally crack after one winter. Was that one thin red strap the only thing holding the load?
LOL, that was my van after picking up the stub frame from my local Fastenal. I only went about 3 miles. Yeah, should have been strapped in a bit better.
:D

Well, Fastenal declined to quote citing "After several attempts to get this approved I was unsuccessful due to the fact that we do not have the capacity for your item on our truck.".

Any other ideas?

-Jason

Well, Fastenal declined to quote citing "After several attempts to get this approved I was unsuccessful due to the fact that we do not have the capacity for your item on our truck.".

Any other ideas?

-Jason
Didn't see that coming. :confused:

I have shipped quite a few large panels through greyhound and have never had any problems. Never usually more then $100.

Back