Shoddy Pad Under Dash, '66 Fury

There are a perfect match and fit.

These are the originals that were sent in as a template
2013-09-01_009.jpg

2013-09-01_010.jpg

2013-09-01_011.jpg

An original in my current project (With a piece from this kit).
2021-12-04_010.jpg

2021-12-04_013.jpg

2021-12-04_014.jpg

Alan

There are a perfect match and fit.

These are the originals that were sent in as a template
View attachment 562600
View attachment 562601
View attachment 562602

An original in my current project (With a piece from this kit).
View attachment 562603
View attachment 562604
View attachment 562605

Alan
.... also, I wonder what the 2 round openings are for. The square opening looks it's to accommodate the reinforcing bracket arm for the front lower part of the dash.

I purchased the shoddy pad for my 70 300 in prep for removing the instrument panel and the entire AC-Heat box. But it didn't go well.

1. The pad is the first thing that's applied to the firewall at the factory before ANYTHING else is there. Wiring harnesses, dash structure, vent cables, defrost ducts...on and on...all of which are in your way now. This means is that unless your firewall it totally exposed, you can't really install the pad. I tried cutting it into various pieces vs. the one-piece that it comes as, but honestly that didn't work so good either. Yeah I got a few pieces here and there, but it doesn't do the proper job of heat and noise insulation. Believe me, I tried.

2. Working under the dash with that pad is absolutely miserable. The jute and whatever goes everywhere, especially your eyes. Wear goggles.

3. I have the highest regard for DMT products. It's amazing what they provide for C-Bods. But unless you have the firewall area totally stripped and exposed (such as the excellent photos from MrMoparCHP), it's nearly impossible to install. But if you were to do that, the pad's quality is fantastic.

Last edited:
It’s been my experience that the shoddy pad should be installed after the firewall insulation. The firewall insulation will help you align the shoddy pad in its spot.

It’s been my experience that the shoddy pad should be installed after the firewall insulation. The firewall insulation will help you align the shoddy pad in its spot.
I stripped everything from the firewall thank goodness. Installed a new firewall insulation pad with the black tar-looking cardboard on one side from DMT so now I will make a better attempt at installing the shoddy pad thanks both of your (Trace 300 & Imperial Eagle) tips.

Back