Shop/garage info needed....hoist as well.

thrashingcows

Reaction score
Since moving up north and to our new place on acreage...with no shop :( ...I am looking to build a shop this coming year. Just brain storming and wonder about putting a hoist in the shop. Now people who done this how tall a ceiling do you need, and any other pertinent info?

I have a blank slate and want to make this the best I can....within a reasonable budget of course. Thinking of a shop around 40' x 40' or so. So any thoughts, suggestions and comments about your current shop/garage, and the size, shape and configuration and construction materials would also be appreciated.

All comments, suggestions, and ideas are appreciated.

My shop is 40x40 I wish I would have gone 60 wide. I had to add a 20x40 lean to on the one side to park my cars under cover. Mine has 12' walls and 3 bays. One door is 11' high because I store my camper inside. The other two are 10x10. I also have a sliding door on the back side, for getting my mower out the back without dancing cars around.
I put a 2 post 10k lift in the center bay right in the middle of the shop. Works out great there for me, as can pick a car up and store one or two below for the winter.
I went with a 2 post vs. a 4 post because the ramps just take up so much floor space. I felt i would be tripping over them all the time, maybe if i had a 4 bay shop and put it on the end bay it would be ok, but that just wasn't an option and this works better for me.
I also put 2 foot of clear laminate along both sides under the eaves for light. Im so glad i did that. So bright that you barely need to turn the lights on when working in there except at night. I didn't want it to be like a cave in there.
I'll see if i can get some pics up.
Hope it gives you some ideas.

I once blew up the construction plans for a new shop and screwed myself out of a promotion I wanted at the same time. The fleet work I did was entirely managed by folks who had no idea about anything to do with the repair of cars. They had a building design that would make a great storage garage, but a lousy working garage. I am of the opinion that to make a nice working space a bay needs to be 30' deep and have at least 5' of free space on each side of the car. You may fit into a 12x20 parking slip and open doors enough to enter/exit... but you really can't work there. Also realize you will likely want storage shelving, so I would give an additional 2' to 4' at the perimeter for such things... at 4' you could store pallets, but never have room to move them.

30' gives a couple critical feet of walking/working space at the rear while providing room for a tool box and cherry picker at the front... plus enough elbow room to work. Remember a 24" deep tool box needs 4' of space or you can't get the stuff from the back of the drawers. (my big one needs almost 6'... and really cramps most bays)

So roughly 30x15 per bay... they can go tighter, but not too much or you won't be able to swing the doors wide on a 2 door and do interior stuff. If practical, set a 40x60 into nose to nose 6 cars for working and about twice that for storage. you can always hang blinds to separate the working areas. Taller is better for ceiling height, just imagine you may someday want to lift a full size van... long hoods need clearance to be raised when open.

Since moving up north and to our new place on acreage...with no shop :( ...I am looking to build a shop this coming year. Just brain storming and wonder about putting a hoist in the shop. Now people who done this how tall a ceiling do you need, and any other pertinent info?

I have a blank slate and want to make this the best I can....within a reasonable budget of course. Thinking of a shop around 40' x 40' or so. So any thoughts, suggestions and comments about your current shop/garage, and the size, shape and configuration and construction materials would also be appreciated.

All comments, suggestions, and ideas are appreciated.

Sounds like you are headed down the same road as me a coupla years ago. You might want to check out my various "Garage Mahal" threads.

My shop is 50'x 50' with 15' ceiling.

In the 13 years that I've been collecting these cars, I've learned one thing:

No matter how big you make it, it will soon be too small.

Here's some progress pics from when I moved in almost five years ago:
IMAG0291.jpg

IMAG0319.jpg

IMG_1202.JPG

Turned the cars and fit 6 where 5 used to be:
IMG_1216.JPG

IMG_1220.JPG

IMG_1215.JPG

Where we are today:
20150518_171838.jpg

Cool pics:
IMG_1218.JPG

IMG_1535.JPG

Hope the input gives you some ideas.

John

View attachment 109774
View attachment 109775
View attachment 109776

View attachment 109777
View attachment 109778
View attachment 109779
Where we are today:
View attachment 109780
Cool pics:
View attachment 109781
View attachment 109782

Hope the input gives you some ideas.

John

John: You are a very sick person. . . AND you suck too.

I have a wood shop that has turned into a garage, but with most of my woodworking equipment still installed. It is 30x40, if I built a new one it would be 60x40.

On heating, I have a 10 foot ceiling and it is very easy and efficient to heat. I have a low ceiling lift. When I work on my car I roll around on a chair and really don't need it any higher.

I would go at least with the 40x40 no smaller.

Mine's 30 x 60 with 3 bays along the long side and space for another bay with no overhead door there - deliberately done that way so I couldn't stuff so much in that there was no room to work on things and room for equipment or tools in the fourth spot. 14' ceilings so I could easily put a car or truck on the lift with the hood open and not hit the top. Works well for me, now just need more energy to work on the stuff in there........ :rolleyes: As others have said, I soon ran out of room. I'm in NW Minnesota and average heat bill is ~ 100/mo in the winter @ 63 degrees inside, (off peak electric floor heat).
upload_2016-12-30_8-42-24.png

upload_2016-12-30_8-43-18.png

upload_2016-12-30_8-43-57.png

View attachment 109774
View attachment 109775
View attachment 109776

View attachment 109777
View attachment 109778
View attachment 109779
Where we are today:
View attachment 109780
Cool pics:
View attachment 109781