Shop tricks

65sporty

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
I thought I would start a thread about tips and tricks to make our life easier working in the shop.

1) Saw dust works great as floor dry, not chips but fine dust.

2) Air hoses and cords can be easily wiped clean with solvent like lacquer thinner on a rag. We have a couple of yellow goodyear hoses at work and over time they turn brown, some solvent on a rag and one to wipe dry, it's yellow again.

I even have pics of this one.

Since we don't have oil spouts to jam into a oil can, using the bottles of oil can get a little messy. I always end up dripping oil on the valve cover and onto the manifold. I'm also cheap...

So... I take a oil bottle and cut the bottom off and use it as a funnel.

yHwrEiF.jpg

jXVuwQL.jpg

I also cut the top off another bottle. Being cheap, I hate to waste the oil left in the bottles after dumping them in the engine. There's always a little left, so I let the bottles drain into this cutoff bottle. Then I usually dump that in the engine... Or use it for filling my oil can.

PJzRZ7o.jpg

Then I take the "funnel" and stuff it in the cutoff bottle and that's how it's all stored, keeping it clean for the next use.

FWEVJyu.jpg

A cutoff windshield washer gallon jug is great for filling radiators too.

0Vpgxhv.jpg

No pics for this one, but a pool noodle from Wally World is stuck on my jack handle. Saves the lower pans from scratches.

A used hockey puck (told you I was cheap) works great in the jack if you need something to pad the surface you are jacking. I use a 2x4 cut into a square to use where the puck won't work.

With the C-body so long, I want it to just fit into the garage... Enough to close the door and maximize the space in front. I tried stuff like tennis balls on strings and crap like that. I never liked things hanging when the car isn't in the garage, so that never worked. I painted a spot on the floor where I put a 2x4 and just toss it down and roll the car's tire up against it.

mPZrtVp.jpg

J0ZI39o.jpg

If you look in front of the radiator in my 300, there's a cut up tennis ball riding around on the splash pan. That goes over the latch on the hood when it's up. That keeps me from knocking my head against the latch.

I use most of these.....;) Though the hockey puke in the cup of the floor jack is a new one.

I'll suggest to never put a sealer/coating on your concrete floor. When I had my shop put up last year many people suggested I do this.....worst thing I could have done. The coating is a hard clear coat and when it gets wet it's slippery like ice, and when it got cold over the winter and had a bit of fine snow on it from me trudging in and out I went down hard on my right hip....darn lucky it did not break! Had a bruise from knee to top of pelvis and bruised the hip deep and even the bone!! Like someone swept my legs out it was that sudden.

I will be grinding that coating off before fall/winter this year.

For my garage floor, I have the thin rubber like mat material covering the entire floor. I would recommend the coin pattern. This also helps keep moisture in the concrete on new concrete floors and keeps any moisture from coming up through the concrete.

I have bought several carts over the years. This is by far the best one I have bought. 3 things make it better than others for me. Most comfortable seat, height adjustment, and storage tray.

It also works perfect with my 2 post lift. I have a low ceiling 10 feet, so I can't walk under the car. This cart is the perfect height. In fact even if I had a high ceiling I would probably most of the time keep it at a comfortable height for this cart.

415T1ZgWe4L._AC_SY400_.jpg

For my garage floor, I have the thin rubber like mat material covering the entire floor. I would recommend the coin pattern. This also helps keep moisture in the concrete on new concrete floors and keeps any moisture from coming up through the concrete.

Interesting. Got any pictures? I imagine rolling rubber tires doesn't hurt it but what about dragging stuff like jacks?

cheapie walmart 60 watt l.e.d. bulbs are good for drop lights. they can actually be dropped numerous times without breaking. they're cool to the touch so they won't burn upholstery or rugs. they're great for welding under a vehicle. they can be put right up to a weld area and the spatter won't break the globe. then there's the danger of getting gasoline on a lit glass drop light bulb. i'm not going to try it, but i can't help but think that an l.e.d. bulb might prevent an accident for the unaware.

I use most of these.....;) Though the hockey puke in the cup of the floor jack is a new one.

I'll suggest to never put a sealer/coating on your concrete floor. When I had my shop put up last year many people suggested I do this.....worst thing I could have done. The coating is a hard clear coat and when it gets wet it's slippery like ice, and when it got cold over the winter and had a bit of fine snow on it from me trudging in and out I went down hard on my right hip....darn lucky it did not break! Had a bruise from knee to top of pelvis and bruised the hip deep and even the bone!! Like someone swept my legs out it was that sudden.

Ouch!
Glad you're better after that.

I have done this in the past but also put very fine sand into the mix to prevent this from happening...

The light comment, got me thinking about what I have done. I've replaced all of my fluorescent ceiling lights with these four foot Costco lights. They're on sale right now 40 bucks for two sections of 8 feet. I've got enough to replace all mine. They're just as bright and cost less than to replace one ballast on my old fluorescence.

They have the best price when on sale.

https://www.costco.com/Feit-4'-Linkable-LED-Shop-Light,-2-pack.product.100462723.html

What happens when you turn your wheel while parked?
@mdh157

I thought I would start a thread about tips and tricks to make our life easier working in the shop.

1) Saw dust works great as floor dry, not chips but fine dust.

2) Air hoses and cords can be easily wiped clean with solvent like lacquer thinner on a rag. We have a couple of yellow goodyear hoses at work and over time they turn brown, some solvent on a rag and one to wipe dry, it's yellow again.
I swear a lot. I’m not sure if it helps but it sometimes makes me feel better.:lol:

Another use for pool noodles. They make great protectors when storing or moving a windshield. I also use them on the ends of bumpers and fenders when they are off the car.

Photo Apr 28, 3 11 49 PM.jpg

All good tips, many of which I use myself.

Thanks for the warning about garage floor coatings - I just bought a house with a shop, and I was investigating doing the floor before moving in. Now I will not be.

@65sporty Saw dust works great as floor dry, not chips but fine dust. Be careful about fine sawdust - if enough gets suspended in the air it can become flash flammable. So for example, if you're using compressed air to blow something off, and it makes the air dusty with the fine sawdust, and then your furnace sparker kicks on - whump...

Matt - I swear all the time. Best tip of all in my opinion. Don't keep it in, let it out and then it's gone! I assert that it's much better for one's health (just not so much fun for anyone within earshot unfortunately).
:lol:

I swear all the time. Best tip of all in my opinion. Don't keep it in, let it out and then it's gone! I assert that it's much better for one's health (just not so much fun for anyone within earshot unfortunately).
You are so correct, I have even invented some new phrases.

On a big project like an engine swap, as things start getting disorganized and messy, I’ll stop right in the middle of it and put every tool thats out back where it it goes. I’ll clean the shop up like I’m done with it. Roll up chords, hoses, throw away all water bottles and trash. I’ll even push the car out if possible to sweep and mop under it. Once everything is clean and where it should be, I’ll go right back to working on the project. Kinda like a reset/refresh/restart.

My garage floor is pebbled epoxy, tough as nails and not overly slippery when wet. It is impervious to spills, so far I haven't managed to stain or damage it in the 6 years I've owned it.

78 - Garage.JPG

I even have pics of this one.

Since we don't have oil spouts to jam into a oil can, using the bottles of oil can get a little messy. I always end up dripping oil on the valve cover and onto the manifold. I'm also cheap...

So... I take a oil bottle and cut the bottom off and use it as a funnel.

View attachment 284652

View attachment 284653

I also cut the top off another bottle. Being cheap, I hate to waste the oil left in the bottles after dumping them in the engine. There's always a little left, so I let the bottles drain into this cutoff bottle. Then I usually dump that in the engine... Or use it for filling my oil can.

View attachment 284654

Then I take the "funnel" and stuff it in the cutoff bottle and that's how it's all stored, keeping it clean for the next use.

View attachment 284655

A cutoff windshield washer gallon jug is great for filling radiators too.

View attachment 284656

No pics for this one, but a pool noodle from Wally World is stuck on my jack handle. Saves the lower pans from scratches.

A used hockey puck (told you I was cheap) works great in the jack if you need something to pad the surface you are jacking. I use a 2x4 cut into a square to use where the puck won't work.

With the C-body so long, I want it to just fit into the garage... Enough to close the door and maximize the space in front. I tried stuff like tennis balls on strings and crap like that. I never liked things hanging when the car isn't in the garage, so that never worked. I painted a spot on the floor where I put a 2x4 and just toss it down and roll the car's tire up against it.

View attachment 284657
View attachment 284658

If you look in front of the radiator in my 300, there's a cut up tennis ball riding around on the splash pan. That goes over the latch on the hood when it's up. That keeps me from knocking my head against the latch.
I've done one version or another of these, but I hadn't cut the washer fluid bottle off for filling the radiator though. The next one will get cut off.

I would look into an anti-slip coating to put on top of it rather than removing it. The make some very gritty stuff for traction. One is Monster Paints out of CA.

Back