Short vid 1959 Dodge. Freaking beautiful!

It is a lower line Coronet, not a Custom Royal Lancer even and it still looks awesome! That is how a car should be done.

The location of the spare tire on the Plymouth wagon is worth watching the video. Chrysler had some real engineering and design talent in those days!

Last edited:
It is a beauty! It certainly has the chrome doesn't it. Now they've gone the opposite direction - too little chrome. The 2002 Intrepid I owned had absolutely none. It was a good looking car but it would have looked so much better if it had had a little chrome applied to set off some of its features. That's what I like about the 2008 DUB Edition 300 I have, they put some [restrained] chrome touches on it, mainly on the grille, bumpers, around the side windows, wheels and the outside mirrors. I wouldn't have minded some chrome trim around the windshield and rear window but it does look fine without it, too. I wish car makers used a little more chrome on their cars nowadays.

It is a beauty! It certainly has the chrome doesn't it. Now they've gone the opposite direction - too little chrome. The 2002 Intrepid I owned had absolutely none. It was a good looking car but it would have looked so much better if it had had a little chrome applied to set off some of its features. That's what I like about the 2008 DUB Edition 300 I have, they put some [restrained] chrome touches on it, mainly on the grille, bumpers, around the side windows, wheels and the outside mirrors. I wouldn't have minded some chrome trim around the windshield and rear window but it does look fine without it, too. I wish car makers used a little more chrome on their cars nowadays.

I read somewhere that government safety dictates had something to do with chrome being reduced.

Chrysler had some real engineering and design talent in those days!

Thank you for posting.

The pitching of the transmission pushbuttons at 1:34-1:37 is interesting: "see, all the controls are on your left, away from the children."

Ditto for the third bench at 3:31: "keeps the kids happy and out of your hair".

Imagine an ad like that today...

Thank you for posting.

The pitching of the transmission pushbuttons at 1:34-1:37 is interesting: "see, all the controls are on your left, away from the children."

Ditto for the third bench at 3:31: "keeps the kids happy and out of your hair".

Imagine an ad like that today...

The rear view mirror in the Chrysler surprised me. Automatically went to night mode . Why can’t they do that today in cars? Really ahead of their time.

Chrome not on cars anymore? Not the government or NASCAR, but a mimic of the European/Asian cars who has minimized it over "joints" to show how straight and tight their body work was, I suspect. NOT to be outdone, the USA brands had to follow suit. While ALSO cutting the production and warranty costs on one feld swoop! It ALL relates to $$$$, in one way or another.

Modern "chrome" is usually termed "brushed nickel" or something similar. So many of the chrome platers are out of business now.

By observation, in prior times, when the economy and such were good, the cars were colorful, had spiffy interior designs/colors (with many base model interior much more exciting that the $75K modern cars and their mono-chromatic colors/textures), and generally MORE excitement about the total car. Compare that to the recessive late '70s and their muted paint colors.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

The rear view mirror in the Chrysler surprised me. Automatically went to night mode . Why can’t they do that today in cars? Really ahead of their time.
for the
Oh, but the light sensitive inside rear view mirrors came about in the 1990s, some even ganged with the lh outside mirror, too. Went to a dark green to dim the light from the rear, then transitioned back when the light source went away. Modulated by the sun load sensor for the a/c system, or the headlights being on, possibly? To replace one was about $200.00, for the ourside mirror glass only.

Message . . . "It's okay for the kids to play with the hvac buttons, but not the transmission shift buttons."

Enjoy!
CBODY67

They do, had them back in the late 90's, my LHS had it, a nice feature.

Back