Should I have fabricated or can I get this section alone?

Cags70PolaraConvert

Reaction score
So as the project know as my 70 polara convertible starts up again after some delays I am faced with having this section of rot repaired. My question is should I just have my guy to the repairs by fabricating it or can I easily get this section from somewhere that would work?

8.16.21 Frame Rot driver side rear.jpg

Depending on how much solid metal is around it, a good fabricator should be able to take care of it. Even a replacement part will require some welding.

Depending on how much solid metal is around it, a good fabricator should be able to take care of it. Even a replacement part will require some welding.
Not sure how much metal is there. He is going to fabricate but all I hear at this point is that it is going to take time and time is money. Was just trying to find out if there was an alternative. thanks for the feedback.

You'd have to find someone parting out a fairly solid C body convertible.

I don't think anyone here is doing that right now.

At least it's an area that doesn't show, so the "function over form" method can be used to speed up fabrication time a bit.

Jeff

I'd have to try to find a car to cut it off of. Even if I had to buy the whole car to cut the metal parts off of. Verts are tough to find though.

They don't often rot there, finding another car with that section being good should be fairly easy
If that section is for all 1970 C-body 'verts, then it may be possible to find a donor. @71Polara383 would know how specific that part is to 1970 Polara 'verts. If it is, then I know of only a few cars that might be donors. One is in GA, another in OH, a third in IL. There was a fourth in NJ, but DL27G0D132053 is now in Finland.

Keep in mind the convertible has a heavy rail added inside the rocker, I don't think this is something you would want to patch as in add a new end to it. The reinforcement should be a one piece for the length, it is where the strength comes from on convertibles.

Alan

Ok, so I just did this repair on my vert. The reinforcement for the convertible rockers start further in towards the lock pillar. I had some 14 ga rocker steel that I cut patches from and welded in to seal up the holes and called it a day. Once the outer skins are in you’ll never know it was there.

ECFBF4E5-78ED-469E-88D1-544FB1A6A0E2.jpeg

8A915847-18B1-436A-9041-99C1FBEEDABE.jpeg

If that section is for all 1970 C-body 'verts, then it may be possible to find a donor. @71Polara383 would know how specific that part is to 1970 Polara 'verts. If it is, then I know of only a few cars that might be donors. One is in GA, another in OH, a third in IL. There was a fourth in NJ, but DL27G0D132053 is now in Finland.
Wyatt is no longer allowed here... he's hanging out with Dave at the C Body Dry Dock.

Thanks for all the info. By the time I find and receive the piece my guy will have fabricated it. He will make sure it has the necessary strength.

It is difficult for those with morals to come back after being censored. Our country is having some serious issues with this censorship thing. I really think it's sad to see such great guys with great information and passion for this specific hobby get booted due to their opinions. thanks admins and joey for your nazism.
Ok, sorry for the rant. My bad. Back to the convertible.

Thanks for all the info. By the time I find and receive the piece my guy will have fabricated it. He will make sure it has the necessary strength.

That sounds about right. Definitely take a while to find that piece. In the mean time the car could be closer to on the road.

Back