Should I re-use this water pump housing?

Isaiah Estrada

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
This is the stock housing that came on my New Yorker. Let me tell you, it was a PAIN to take apart. I’m talking about using the acetylene torch, breaker bars and drilling out 2 broken bolts…

F52B89CB-E47F-4EFF-899B-559003C19A94.jpeg

24545053-B71F-467B-9C44-1C93E6915867.jpeg

This is the water pump housing after letting it soak in citric acid for a day. I pressure washed it and wire brushed it and it’s coming back around. Inside the housing itself however, it looks like this.

118450F4-635E-4923-8A9E-EFE7A3AFA8F6.jpeg

It’s not flaking away or anything. After some more vigorous brushing and pressure washing, I’m going to once again let it soak for a day to eat up the rest of the rust. I am just wondering if the inside pitting is “bad” and if I should just look for another housing altogether…

A66D5626-8983-4B2B-97FB-04A1B155BF2D.jpeg

Looks like it sat in the Titanic!

The housing before dismantling it

E40FBF71-B141-4E16-97C5-DAC404371444.jpeg

You can probably better remove the rust using the electrolytic method? Using a battery charger and a "sacrificlal metal" in a bubbling solution over-night might be easier to do. Several YouTube videos on such.

In your "mechanical removal" operations, do not forget about the hose piping connections and such, too, rather than just the center section of the housing.

Take care,
CBODY67

You can probably better remove the rust using the electrolytic method? Using a battery charger and a "sacrificlal metal" in a bubbling solution over-night might be easier to do. Several YouTube videos on such.

In your "mechanical removal" operations, do not forget about the hose piping connections and such, too, rather than just the center section of the housing.

Take care,
CBODY67

Thanks for the advice! Not mentioned in my post but I did take extra care to make sure the piping connections were tidy! I used small pipe brushes and also chased the threads to make sure they are clean. An extra day in the citric acid should be enough to make this housing rust free:) I’ve had great success with it on my other parts.

Try finding another one in better shape. The pitting inside the chamber may reduce the flow and compromise the cooling efficiency. The heater pipes are available from eBay motors.

If that was a housing that was real rare and hard to find, I'd say that it would probably be OK... But! Since it shouldn't be too hard to find another, I'd replace it based on the internal pitting. I've never seen one that bad.

There are left and right lower hose versions, so be thoughtful of that when looking at replacements. Possibly some differences for the temperature gauge port too. That said, an identical one won't be that hard to find... Match the casting numbers.

That housing is junk with all the pitting and corrosion in the round circular area.
Look at a good one, that's a machined surface and I'll bet a reason why.
That big crater will do no good.

Thanks everyone for the good input! I DO have another housing, however it’s for a later big block. The heater pipes are different

Stock water pump housing

5A0F90A2-5427-41DD-AB13-C25A67D61A1C.jpeg

1970+ housing

A6DEE90A-1F82-4D34-AAC6-5211A9C48E9D.jpeg

One of the heater pipes is still a 5/8, but the other is like 1/2. I didn’t realize this when I bout the unit over 2 years ago on eBay. Also, whomever sold it to me (I don’t remember) must’ve broken the heater pipe trying to remove it, because it’s stuck real good in there! I guess we will try to move forward and very carefully remove it.

Is there a specific fitting I might be able to use as some sort of adapter?

Because of the broken pipe inside and the pipes being different diameters, I figured maybe it was worth a shot to try and save the original housing! Good thing I checked here first

I agree with all those who advise a different housing without all that internal damage. Putting all that work into your NY should not be compromised with a cooling system that does not operate at full efficiency because of a water pump housing that should have been recycled.

It’s junk, replace it. You will need a 1967-1969 housing. The 1966 and older have the different sending unit placement and cast in stand for the alternator bracket in a different Place.

the 1970 and newer have the smallEd heater hose hole.

Thanks everyone for the good input! I DO have another housing, however it’s for a later big block. The heater pipes are different

Stock water pump housing

View attachment 552900

1970+ housing

View attachment 552901

One of the heater pipes is still a 5/8, but the other is like 1/2. I didn’t realize this when I bout the unit over 2 years ago on eBay. Also, whomever sold it to me (I don’t remember) must’ve broken the heater pipe trying to remove it, because it’s stuck real good in there! I guess we will try to move forward and very carefully remove it.

Is there a specific fitting I might be able to use as some sort of adapter?

Because of the broken pipe inside and the pipes being different diameters, I figured maybe it was worth a shot to try and save the original housing! Good thing I checked here first

Eric: One other thing to consider when looking for another housing: The housings for A/C and non-A/C are different. I learned this the hard way:

As it turns out, both 383 and 440 engines WITH A/C use the housing with the 2 and 1/2 inch mounting boss. There is no special 440 engine power steering pump bracket. The bracket is the same for both engines. Its the water pump housing that is different.

Here is a shot comparing the two:
1660824150951.png

You can see the whole story of my water pump housing journey here:
The SAGA Begins - '66 300 Convertible

Looks like previous owner ran it with straight "hard" tap water, no antifreeze. A hot climate thing, the north part of the country could never get away with. I would think you would want to replace with correct era housing. If you can't find one local, let me know and I'll look through the ones I have from motor cores I used for racing years ago.

Original is junk. Get a correct housing.
Sell the other one you have to an E or B body guy who is into the numbers game! Lol!

I would not use that housing. It should not be that hard to find a good used replacement. Or you could drill and tap the heater hose pipe like mentioned above and use the newer one.

After looking at that housing, I'd be more worried about how borked up the cooling passages are within the block than worrying about the housing!

For fun, I let the housing soak for another day in the citric acid. I scrubbed vigorously and cleaned all the threads before I put it back in the acid. I wanted to see how well it could come back. Didn’t look too bad!

73F4A6B0-5E7D-4885-B1E8-BA9685B5225F.jpeg

Back