Single speed windshield wiper motor help please

jake

Reaction score
I am rewiring my car and getting close. I have a question as the FSM wiring diagram is confusing me. Back of my switch has a P, B, and R. I know R and one side of P go to the wiper motor itself, and B is 12 volt in, just not sure about the other side of P. The wipers work just fine and go back to park without anything connected to the other side of P, but it 12 volts when key is in, not sure what to do. tia
ZJpc4BE6FZ1bFAxeSqfwPcs8=w650-h866-s-no?authuser=0.jpg

xOTONLyAJ9JpN16IubsWVI8=w1154-h866-s-no?authuser=0.jpg

For my over analytic brain:
12V when the key is inserted into the ignition, or...
12V when the key is turned to the "ON" position.
Sorry Stan, 12 volts when key is turned to the on position. I will post the wiring diagram when i get home of how they have it wired. Thanks

I don't have a Dodge FSM, but I'm guessing that the wire colors are the same as the '64 Chrysler FSM.

V-1 - Pink - This is the 12 volts coming from the ignition switch to the wiper switch.

V-3 - Black w Tracer - This is the power out to the wipers for normal operation.

V-6 - Dark Blue - This is the wire that parks the wipers when you turn them off (I think it runs the motor the reverse direction?)

B-1 - White - This is 12v out that goes to the switch for the backup lamps. No, it doesn't make any sense. I'm sure some engineer in the '50s had a perfectly good explanation for why the backup lights were powered through the wiper switch, but I don't know what it is. I think there is a circuit breaker in the wiper switch, but why the backup lights didn't just use a fuse like everything else? Got me!

B-2 - Also White - This is the wire from the reverse switch that goes to back of the car to power the backup lights.
wiring 2.jpg

You can ignore V-4 & V-5, those wires & connectors are only on 3 speed wiper cars.

If your car doesn't have the electric washer squirter pump you can also ignore V-9 & V-10.

AHHH, perfect. They did some weird things back then. I appreciate your help!! I will just cap it then as I ran a separate feed to back up lights.

Back