Slabside door striker problem solver

MOVE N UP

Reaction score
The wife and I took out the 68 today ( top up, it was low 40's this AM) and she had some trouble getting the passenger door to latch tight. I ending up nearly slamming the door to get it to its second latch position, and shut tight. Up until now = everything worked perfectly! So when we got back home, I was dead set on getting things "adjusted" to eliminate this very annoying issue. All the components were tight / aligned and appeared to be operating correctly. the plastic slider in the door latch was sliding back with no effort, spur in the door latch rotated without play, the striker in the jamb was very tight, and the capture teeth were not worn, or broken. and lastly- the convertible unique allignment slider looked and operated fine.....?????? So before I loosened up ANYTHING! I did a internet search, on adjustment specs and procedures- after reading several threads - it was obvious that this issue can drive guys NUTS!! some dudes spent several hours tweeking strikers, doors, and hinges and still had the damn door bounce out!! I then came across this nugget of gold....
# 1 FIRST thing you need to do if you run into this problem is OIL THE LATCH SPUR SHAFT AT THE BASE !!!
I used some PB Blaster, and just kept giving the spur shaft small shots. All the while I was depressing the outside door handle button = this allows the spur to free wheel - I spun the latch spur - back and forth to work in the lube. I can now just give the door a light shove, and the door again easily clicks into the striker, and latches nice and tight!!

How about this.
My doors open and shut perfectly, smooth like butter.
Dropped the top and neither one will close without slamming them?
Put the top back up and they still bounce out.
I will try the oil.

Back