Slow starting when hot

Cags70PolaraConvert

Reaction score
So I finally took a good drive with the car today since having the ecu and distributor setup installed that I purchased from mancini racing. The car ran great. smooth. More than happy. When cold she started at the turn of the key. After driving though for about 20 miles and a quick 5 minute stop at the bank she had a hard time starting back up. Engine had to crank for what seemed like an eternity (5-10 seconds) and as I released the key she started. I've seen postings for this before and I am looking for them but is this the norm? I have new this year : intake manifold, carb, coil, ballast, distributor, wires, plugs. I still have the plan to clean all connections. Any thoughts?

Your post title says one thing, but your description says another so I will ask a couple of questions to get in the right direction. Is you engine cranking at the same speed hot? If so it is probably a fuel issue. If your engine is cranking slower hot, it could be the starter, or timing.

hard to tell. I literally turn the key and she's instantly started when cold. When she was hot she had to crank for a few seconds. May have been a little slow turning over. Once started though she ran great, no complaints.

It also could just be the nature of the beast. Mine does similar but it's inconsistent, sometimes she fires right up when hot and sometimes it takes several revolutions but I never touch the gas unless I'm setting the choke when cold. Always starts though.

If you have a new distributor, start at first with timing. Take a look, if you need a ballast resistor with the new coil. Take a look, if the choke works well with a warm engine...

Do you have a dual ballast resistor? If so, that could be the culprit.

It's because of this $h!t they call gas now, everybody has this problem. You'll have to learn to live and deal with it!

If everyone is having the problem then I can live with it, just wanted to ask if anyont else has this issue or where I need to look to fix it. Ballast resistor is brand new, came with ignition kit from mancini.

as I released the key she started

That points to an electrical problem in the "start" side of the primary ignition wiring. Since it was hot, I'd look at any connections under the hood. Start at the connection of the blue wire and brown wire at the ballast resistor and follow the brown wire back to the connector on the firewall.

I should have added... If that is truly what is happening and not just coincidence that it started as you backed the key off.

thanks Big john, I plan on going over all connections under the hood. When its cold I pump the gas once and it starts at the turn of the key. Today was the first time I took it for a lengthy drive and after a 5 minute stop when I went to start her the motor turned over between 5 to 10 seconds. As I released the key she started. Once started all was good.

?????

Is the car finally starting because you release the key, or...
Do you finally release the key because the car is starting?

I think he stopped cranking because it wasn't starting but than it happened to start when he stopped cranking.

Well, no problem then. We know how to start it, now. Stop starting it. :D
So... If we stop starting it, we can start it. But if we don't stop starting it, it won't start when we are trying to start it.

Just throwing it out there since your driving around now on the shitty gas; harden valve seats? When I pulled my heads I was absolutely shocked to see how far receded some of the valves were into their seats.

basically I was giving up on it starting so I was backing off the key and she started. If that makes sense, but when cold the moment the key moves forward I have ignition.

Just throwing it out there since your driving around now on the shitty gas; harden valve seats? When I pulled my heads I was absolutely shocked to see how far receded some of the valves were into their seats.
That would cause the hard start when hot?

Back