Small World!!

Clay Harrison

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
So a few weeks ago I loaded up our daughter and her three boys for a trip to the local ford for some water cool off time.

Along the way, up in the country we pass this house that has, setting behind some overgrown shrubs, a couple of old C Bodies. Now this is a small house in the country and the yard is close to full with all things mopar setting around. Numerous Jeeps, the 2 old c Bodies, Dodge trucks, etc...

Every once in a while I have even noticed one of those new 5 million HP Cuda thingy's (I can't even keep up with the new stuff) setting in the driveway and about 25 NO Trespassing signs stuck to just about everything.

Needless to say, I've been waiting for a couple years to catch someone out in the yard so I could stop and do the ole "what's the story on those old Mopars?"line....

Paydirt!!!! Guy says they are a 67 Newport fastback in pretty good shape and a 68 Newport in not so great shape. One is a stock 440 car and the other is a stock 383. Both were running when parked (never heard that line before)!!!

He would be inclined to sell them.....

We discussed some rough numbers :lol::thumbsup:

By now the kids are yelling and SWMBO is getting irritated so I loaded his number in my phone under David Mopar and off to the river we went.

Fast forward to this afternoon. I decided to give him a call since I only have 2 old cars and one extra truck setting around my small place. While we're chatting up Mopars and agreeing to meet tomorrow at noon to look the cars over, this drives by me in the slow lane....

I snapped a couple pictures and had a brief window to window conversation with the older couple (I'm 62) and confirmed it's a 66 Newport Drop Top. Danged car was in good shape.

What are the chances of that???

And BTW, I'm prob gonna buy those Newports…..

66 Newport.JPG

Thanks for sharing. Your story proves the importance of keeping your eyes and ears open and being aware of the world around you. Today so many people are going through life with their eyes always glued to their device. Escape just using your imagination is a lost art. End of rant and I will monitor this thread with interest.

And of course he called this morning and cancelled :mad:
Said he'd keep my number and we could talk at a later date when he feels like he can get the cars out of the property. And wouldn't even let me come by to take a peek!:bs_flag:

And of course he called this morning and cancelled :mad:
Said he'd keep my number and we could talk at a later date when he feels like he can get the cars out of the property. And wouldn't even let me come by to take a peek!:bs_flag:

Sorry to hear that. Nothing good ever happens to cars that just sit in a yard.

It's that fine line of being polite and persistent, vs being overbearing, and the seller is the judge of that. Best of luck.

He was inclined to sell them, but they weren't officially for sale yet.
You stopped by, asked about them, and talked rough numbers.
A few weeks later you call, make an appointment for next day.

He may have thought nothing of your first visit, but upon your phonecall he figures you might be serious.
I wonder if he's shopping around to find out what he should've priced them at,
Or maybe drumming up some other folks that said they were interested also.

He may not want you to be there while he drags them out, so that he can control what you do and don't see until he's ready for you.

But this is all my speculation, of course. It may be completely above-board and without shenanigans.

Back