Smoke machine leak detection.

Boydsdodge

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
I was going to use a smoke machine to look for vacuum leaks on my Imperials assorted vacuum lines. Any thoughts on this and effects to the vacuum controls?
Also, how tight should the HVAC vacuum system be? Is there an accepted leak down?

Last edited:
As I recall, the smoke leak deteectors were originally designed for evap emissions vac leaks. The hvac system might be too small of a system to use it? On my '70 DH43, there is a length of vac hose that is on the rh footwell, near where the passenger's right foot would rest, but higher, which has a length of stranded, insulated, copper wire stuck into it. A calibrated (?) vac bleed, according to the vac hose schematic. Not an automatic system.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

I found a leak in the parking brake vacuum switch on steering column. I apply vacuum with my pump it drops down about a second and inch on vac gauge. Seems quick.
I have also found a leak in my hot air door on air cleaner snorkel. Booster and cruise hold vacuum.

Great that you found the leaks, I wouldn't see any reason you couldn't use the smoke machine. Yes I use the one at the shop for EVAP systems, but it can be used for just about anything you can think of like the intake or exhaust

Since I don't have a smoke machine I just get a good cigar and blow into a disconnected vacuum line. Kills two birds with one stone.

Back