Snagged this for the grandkids

rkrochen

Reaction score
I know it’s not a C body but I snagged this 02 Sunbird for my granddaughters the other day. It has 142k on it and is in great shape. Picked it up from a cousin for a grand total of nothing. Drove it home after sitting for at least 4 years without issue. Needs brakes, rocker panels and a windshield to safety. Great starter car for an even greater price. Time to teach the girls about cars.

IMG_4546.jpeg

IMG_4545.jpeg

IMG_4544.jpeg

IMG_4543.jpeg

I'd like to fine something like that in a stick shift to start teaching my kids.
tried that with the nieces in the mustangs over at the school by me. did not go good. they started out ok but the more they drove the worse they got.

tried that with the nieces in the mustangs over at the school by me. did not go good. they started out ok but the more they drove the worse they got.
That’s always the fear but they need to start somewhere and we can only do so much. The rest is up to them. I am keeping my fingers crossed for now. My thoughts are this is a perfect car to learn how to drive on, it’s cheap and hopefully they can learn some responsibility in how to take care of it. If it goes well they eventually want to get a classic.

I think it is great you are able to help them out and really glad to hear that they appreciate it.

I looked high and low to borrow a manual car to teach my daughter. None of my friends have one (well 1 has a Porsche 911 turbo and he said no!). We have 2 automatics and two electrics. That is when I resigned myself to the fact there is probably a very low likelihood she is going to encounter a stick shift in her life.

I think it is great you are able to help them out and really glad to hear that they appreciate it.

I looked high and low to borrow a manual car to teach my daughter. None of my friends have one (well 1 has a Porsche 911 turbo and he said no!). We have 2 automatics and two electrics. That is when I resigned myself to the fact there is probably a very low likelihood she is going to encounter a stick shift in her life.
It’s quickly becoming a lost art to drive a manual. I personally love driving a stick but as you say they are becoming a thing of the past.

The rest is up to them.
I had an '03 Sunfire that I got from my sister for about the same price. The biggest job she had to do were the front struts (typical for Michigan). I drove it for about a year and a half before the engine quit running. Your car looks to be in good enough shape that the kids won't be embarrassed to be seen in it.

93D85972-81B5-409E-8BBA-08B0A82D5075.jpeg
Not free but I thought this was a nice find. Two years ago were looking for a decent used car for the grandkids also. After months of looking at high prices on dealer lots, my wife spotted this down the road from us in a neighbor’s driveway for $4500.00. Its an ‘04 that had 58k on the clock at the time. Power everything and super clean inside and out. The woman selling it was around my age and it was her dad‘s. My grandson drove it but wasn’t thrilled because it was an “old man’s car” and didn’t have all the modern digital crap cars have now. He since went off to college and his sister is driving it now and she’s just happy to have wheels.

View attachment 598109Not free but I thought this was a nice find. Two years ago were looking for a decent used car for the grandkids also. After months of looking at high prices on dealer lots, my wife spotted this down the road from us in a neighbor’s driveway for $4500.00. Its an ‘04 that had 58k on the clock at the time. Power everything and super clean inside and out. The woman selling it was around my age and it was her dad‘s. My grandson drove it but wasn’t thrilled because it was an “old man’s car” and didn’t have all the modern digital crap cars have now. He since went off to college and his sister is driving it now and she’s just happy to have wheels.

I don’t think 4500 is a bad price it’s quite reasonable in this day and age. Glad to hear you granddaughter appreciates it.

I don’t think 4500 is a bad price it’s quite reasonable in this day and age. Glad to hear you granddaughter appreciates it.
After looking at cars with 110k+ on the clock, for anywhere from $12 to $16 grand, I thought it was reasonable too. And yes my granddaughter loves it.

Back