So far as I dig deeper into my 383

FuryDan66

Reaction score
Interesting that I thought this manifold would have been open for four-barrel but in fact it was open for an two barrel which I did have an Edelbrock 600 1406 with the adapter plate as you see. As msnt know ive had carburetor issues that decided that I wanted to go a little deeper into seeing if the whole motor needs overhaul.

20180220_142041.jpg

20180220_140924.jpg

Before I ripped it apart anymore, I would put the correct intake manifold on it. Those two barrel to four barrel adapters never work right. I would recommend an edelbrock, Aluminum weigh's less than a factory iron one.

I agree, you shouldnt try taking down 4 barrels into a 2 barrels imo.

Last edited:
If you have the 4bbl, just get a Edelbrock 2186, install that and be done with it? It's like 3 lanes merging into 1, it just never works as planned and creates major problems.

if you can locate an old torker it fits the bill for good low end and mid range . the eddy rpm performer works well also , but it is alot taller . a shot of mine with a weber afb 1406 on it . what is up with the posting pics , damm machine or damm site !

Looks nice, the reason for looking into the motor is I believe I may have a stuck oil ring and or a blown head gasket also.

Well I had my rad burping up antifreeze each time I got done running her and oil burping out of the dip stick so I was thinking either stuck oil ring or blown head gasket plus my antifreeze was the color of chocolte milk

Well I had my rad burping up antifreeze each time I got done running her and oil burping out of the dip stick so I was thinking either stuck oil ring or blown head gasket plus my antifreeze was the color of chocolte milk
Head gasket, or a crack somewhere. I would pull the heads and have them checked. If they are bad put on a set with hardened valve seats so you can run unleaded gas.

Yeah I figured I'm done with bandaids you know , time to do it right even if it sits for 6 mos lol.

Pulling the heads shouldnt be terribly difficult right? I'll remove the rockers, then remove the push rods then in bolt the heads ?

Pulling the heads shouldnt be terribly difficult right? I'll remove the rockers, then remove the push rods then in bolt the heads ?

You will also need to unbolt the exhaust. If it is burping oil out of the dipstick, you probably also have excessive blow-by, a symptom of worn or broken rings, or possibly a bad piston. Get the heads off and check the cylinder bores for excessive wear or signs of broken rings. (Scoring or a double wear ring at the top of the cylinder bore) If you have a lot of coolant in the oil, it could also burp out the dipstick due to an over filled condition in the crank case. If this engine has 100k or more on it you are headed for a rebuild. As suggested above run a compression check to locate any bad cylinders prior to pulling the heads.

Dave

pull the exhaust manifolds prior to removing the head bolts , and all those bolt go into water jackets . it would not hurt to get the radiator checked n rodded out . and heads should not be hard to find , plenty of 440 motorhomes out there . but is your plan have you doing this in the hollister or out on a bench or stand . its way easier out of the hollister . i've done it both ways .

Back