So I took a little trip.....

carrman

Reaction score
Some of you, well maybe some of you, might be interested in my little adventure of 2 weeks ago when I went to Albuquerque to pick up Krautmasters '68 Newport Convertible. Herein lies the tale with piss poor pictures!

So The adventure starts with a plane ride from Medford, OR to Albuquerque, NM. A little over 1300 miles away.

IMG_3432.JPG

IMG_3440.JPG
IMG_3442.JPG
IMG_3444.JPG
IMG_3445.JPG
View attachment 92805 View attachment 92806 View attachment 92810 My started day at 3am, and I was in ABQ by 11:30 am local time. Rich met me at the airport and took me to get much needed food, and then to his house to see the car in person for the first time. Thing of beauty it is. Next to it is a large pile of parts that I'm to take with me to Oregon. First though, we do a walk around of the car. He shows me what's what, how to work the top, starting it, etc. Then he informs me that I'll have no turn signals, that they short out and blow the brake light fuse. Well, that sucks. Might have had the car shipped had I known that, but too late now. Other than that, no other issues really. We go for a test drive, and everything's good. Back to the garage while I load up all the carbs, switches, tools, books, etc. Filled the trunk and the back seat. Left a set of tired 383 heads and a factory Mopar iron 4 barrel intake manifold behind because I didn't want them on my floor. No big, he can sell them for a little money. By this time he takes me to my hotel to freshen up, as we decide we're gonna leave the car in his garage one more night. He's a great host, buying me excellent Italian food with his family, and when I offer to cover mine, he tells me save my cash, I'll need it for gas! So we go back to his place and he loans me his PT so we can leave the car there in the garage to help ensure it doesn't disappear during the night. So the next morning I head over to his place, and taken possession of my car. We shake hands and part ways as he videos me driving off. The torch is passed. Back to the hotel I go to load my suitcase, and stop to buy a club at Rich and his wifes insistence!View attachment 92805 View attachment 92806

Last edited:
IMG_3446.JPG
Rich had freshly serviced the car, installed the Eddie 750 carb, and tuned it for the trip before I got there. Since I didn't have working turn signals, I decided against driving around ABQ to go visit a friend there, and hit the road at 10 am. I40 WB, and the hammer was down at 80. Stopped at Milan NM to fuel up, and some young guys says "that's a badass car man". Yeah, it kinda is. Continue on and notice its getting cloudy, and I'm not liking this as you see in the pic, I've dropped the top. Sure enough, a couple miles later it begins to pour! I dive off the freeway at an exit, get under a bridge and get the top back up. So much for that today. View attachment 92808

I press on through the desert, and take notice, there isn't a whole out here! I continue on into Arizona, where I decide I need to stop in Winslow for a couple pics.
IMG_3448.JPG
IMG_3449.JPG
IMG_3465.JPG
IMG_3466.JPG
IMG_3468.JPG
IMG_3469.JPG
IMG_3473.JPG

I stop for the night in Kingman, AZ. Gas up, get dinner, and retire to the hotel. Next morning, I'm on the road at 9am bound for Las Vegas, and points north. As I'm headed toward Hoover Dam, I notice I'm running about 210 degrees, up from the 195 the day before, and this doesn't sit well with me as I have a lot of desert to drive through. Email Rich and he tells me its because I'm running lean from being tuned for high altitude, and I'll need to adjust when I get home. I've got the top down, and I absolutely hated driving through Vegas with no turn signals. I stop north of Vegas and get fuel and head for Tonapah.
IMG_3474.JPG
IMG_3475.JPG
IMG_3476.JPG
IMG_3477.JPG
IMG_3478.JPG
IMG_3479.JPG
IMG_3481.JPG
IMG_3482.JPG
IMG_3483.JPG
IMG_3484.JPG

On through the desert, and it's hot, the cars running warm and it's pinging when I climb hills now, so I know she's unhappy but she continues on. I toy with the idea of trying to get home, but homes 850 miles from Kingman. I stop at Tonopah and gas up, and the hit a Burger King for lunch. While there a European tourist starts snapping pics of the car and I oblige him and open the hood. Time to hit the road again, through the little desert towns that dot Hiway 93. I finally hit Reno and it's 7pm. I'm tired but want to get home. So I head out into the night but decide I'm pushing myself too hard and get a room in Susanville, CA still 4 hours short of home, but it was for the best.
IMG_3485.JPG
IMG_3487.JPG
IMG_3488.JPG
IMG_3489.JPG
IMG_3490.JPG
IMG_3491.JPG
IMG_3492.JPG
IMG_3493.JPG

All I can say it that Krautmaster must be one standup guy wherein you can trust him to buy a 48 year old car from him and then drive it from New Mexico to Oregon with no significant issues, and having him host you during the process! He is the kind of guy I would like to buy a car from! Rare in this day and age.

And the car looks great and seems to cruise just fine. Congratulations and thanks for the photos and description of the trip! Those are some neat photos.

IMG_3494.JPG
IMG_3495.JPG
IMG_3496.JPG
IMG_3497.JPG
IMG_3499.JPG
IMG_3500.JPG
Next morning on the road home, saw a herd of Antelope on the way, making me thing my decision to stop was wise so I didn't encounter them at night! I finally pull into home and park next to my daily driver at my roomates house. Went the next day to Springfield, OR tyo see my son and store the spare parts at his place. Her and his GF love the car. He's a motor head too. I've got her in for the turn signals now, and once I visit a few upholstery shops, the DMV and a couple other places, she'll go to the covered secure parking I have for her. Need to adjust that damned carb too.

All I can say it that Krautmaster must be one standup guy wherein you can trust him to buy a 48 year old car from him and then drive it from New Mexico to Oregon with no significant issues, and having him host you during the process! He is the kind of guy I would like to buy a car from! Rare in this day and age.

And the car looks great and seems to cruise just fine. Congratulations and thanks for the photos and description of the trip! Those are some neat photos.

Rich is a righteous dude!!! I bought the car based on his reputation amongst the C body faithful. I only wish his health wasn't what led to the sale. I like him.

Krautmaster was one of the most knowledgeable guys on the Drydock. Thoroughly enjoyed his stories especially the police car days. Hate, absolutely hate knowing things aren't well for him.
Congratulations on the ownership of his ride.

Great pictures, story & car! I got a chuckle out of the flat bed Ford at the corner of Winslow.

Well done, congrats! To bad about the pics not doing the amazing scenery justice.
I like the flatbed ford too, the song immediately popped into my head.

Well done, congrats! To bad about the pics not doing the amazing scenery justice.
I like the flatbed ford too, the song immediately popped into my head.

The Ford is used as part of the park there, not sure who it belongs to but it does run. Pics would have been better had I more time.

Trip of a lifetime and something you'll tell the Grandkids someday about how Gpa got that cool old car. I can hear you now......."I remember the time I drove from Arizona to Oregon with no turn signals uphill all the way....stopped in Winslow ...see there was this girl in a flatbed Ford..."

Trip of a lifetime and something you'll tell the Grandkids someday about how Gpa got that cool old car. I can hear you now......."I remember the time I drove from Arizona to Oregon with no turn signals uphill all the way....stopped in Winslow ...see there was this girl in a flatbed Ford... don't say anything to grandma..."

Back