[SOLVED] Stuck Trunk Lid - Key turns but doesn't pop lid

Grannys67

Reaction score
Went to open the trunk, turned the key and nothing happened.

Let's hear your best trunk lid latch tricks! --Preparing to remove rear seat and see how I fit going thru the rear braces.

Not sure exactly what I'm gonna do to get the lid open once I'm in there - can you see the release slot from inside the trunk? or is there bolt heads exposed to remove the latch? I don't think I'll be able to see the lock cylinder to get the clip off and slide the cylinder out....

I really really really want to avoid locksmith drilling it out.

Thanks!

Is this on the 67 dodge polara? Has the lid ever open in the past?

Is the trunk lid physically stuck to the weatherstrip?

If the key turns then you don’t need a locksmith, or to drill out the cylinder.

When you turn the key is it just turning free or does it have some resistance? Is it doing anything?

Can you lift or push down on the trunk lid while turning the key? You don’t need to harm the lock if you go into the trunk. Unbolt the latch and remove it and the lid should open.

-Preparing to remove rear seat and see how I fit going thru the rear braces.
Long extensions on your ratchet and just unbolt the latch. That's the easiest way I've found and might be the only way if something is wrong with the latch.

But, @413 is right about being stuck to the weatherstrip. Those latches don't usually break.

On one of my cars I always have to push down on the trunk lid while turning the key. I hope it's that simple for you!

I've got a similar situation on a few of my cars. The key turns, against resistance, and then returns to the original position, but nothing happens. And the lid will not "flex" up with the key turned. In an earlier thread, there was mention of "installing" a blade screwdriver end into a long broomstick to actuate the latch from the inside. There is a slot in the latch, on the inside, which can be indexed with the screwdriver end, but it'll taks a long broomstick once the rear seat is removed.

I'm wondering if the soft metal link between the lock cyl and the latch itself degrades and falls away?

HOPE the trunk is not being used for what it was meant to? AND that you can get the spare tire out of the way!

Please keep us posted on your progress,
CBODY67

What Bronze said: have you pushed down on the trunk while turning the key? I have to do this every now and then on my '70.

Yeah. I tried pushing, pulling, smacking on the lid, won't budge. Sprayed wd40, The key turns 180 degrees with little resistance, then stops like normal. Just no catch to pop the mechanism

No history of the lock sticking, first time it's ever stuck...

Yeah. I tried pushing, pulling, smacking on the lid, won't budge. Sprayed wd40, The key turns 180 degrees with little resistance, then stops like normal. Just no catch to pop the mechanism

No history of the lock sticking, first time it's ever stuck...
Shouldn't the key only turn 90 degrees?

Sounds like it is disconnected, or the latch has failed.
A functioning latch will only go 1/4 of a turn before it stops.

Now time to go inside the trunk and unbolt the latch

Went to open the trunk, turned the key and nothing happened.

Let's hear your best trunk lid latch tricks! --Preparing to remove rear seat and see how I fit going thru the rear braces.

Not sure exactly what I'm gonna do to get the lid open once I'm in there - can you see the release slot from inside the trunk? or is there bolt heads exposed to remove the latch? I don't think I'll be able to see the lock cylinder to get the clip off and slide the cylinder out....

I really really really want to avoid locksmith drilling it out.

Thanks!
Sorry, couldn't control myself!

702919A2-09C4-4C18-9736-C545B2EFB421.png

I remember having to use the “Fonzie Maneuver” on a ‘68 RR plus other trunk lids back in the day. Turn key and give it a good downward bump fist. Or study up on being a tunnel rat.

My lock cylinder went bad and I used what cbody 67 described with the broom handle and screwdriver. But having a convertible, I was able to get to it through the convertible top well. In a coupe or sedan, you will have to remove the bottom and back seat cushion to get into the trunk. Not difficult, just a little time consuming. Once you turn the slot the trunk should pop open, then you can replace the lock cylinder.

I see Granny in your avatar name, time to invite the grandson/ granddaughter over with a promise to Dairy Queen for a job well done.
Send them in throught the back seat with either a 1/2 inch or 13mm wrench or socket, lefty loosy!
Good luck!

Success with the broom handled screwdriver!
Now to see what's up with this lock cylinder not engaging...

20230405_130036.jpg

20230405_130030.jpg

20230405_125610.jpg

Congrats!! Glad it worked!! An empty trunk and no spare tire?? WOW

All fixed.... the little coil spring on the cylinder had popped off, so the end of the rod wasn't turning. Replaced everything and tested the latch like 50 times... good to go. Thanks all

20230405_150356.jpg

Back