Someone do me a huge favor.

Jon O.

Reaction score
Someone with a 72 400CI please measure the oil dipstick for me as follows: From where handle ends to the top of full line, and from where the handle ends to the add line. Also how long the tube it sits in is.
I was told my Newport has the wrong one, and I wanted to check, thanks!
Untitled.png

For reference, here's from a 68 383. To Full line: 20 1/2, to add: 21 1/8. Tube length, (approximate due to the bends): 16 1/2. Not sure if mines original or not, I was told it was changed. But, I put in 4 quarts and its right between the lines so I didn't worry about it.

Last edited:
The dipstick and dipstick tube must match. AND the tube must be correctly oriented to the block, for correct measurements. If the car has the correct oil pan on it, drain the pan and re-fill with 4qts and see where that hits on your existing gauge. Let that be the "Add" mark, AFTER the car has sat overnight with the 4qts added in the oil pan.

For the "Full" mark, do a full 5qt oil/filter change, let the car sit overnight, then see where the oil level is. That'll better calibrate your existing items.

There might also be a 7-digit part number on the dipstick itself? Does the dipstick tube rotate or move in the block? I suspect it should be solid and vertical?

What is the original concern? Just curious.

CBODY67

The dipstick and dipstick tube must match. AND the tube must be correctly oriented to the block, for correct measurements. If the car has the correct oil pan on it, drain the pan and re-fill with 4qts and see where that hits on your existing gauge. Let that be the "Add" mark, AFTER the car has sat overnight with the 4qts added in the oil pan.

For the "Full" mark, do a full 5qt oil/filter change, let the car sit overnight, then see where the oil level is. That'll better calibrate your existing items.

There might also be a 7-digit part number on the dipstick itself? Does the dipstick tube rotate or move in the block? I suspect it should be solid and vertical?

CBODY67
Some previous owner broke the original, and replaced it with the wrong one. The reading is completely off, I knew about the 5 quart changes. I didn't want to burn the engine up by fudging up a simple oil change.
It has the original pan and possibly tube, but wrong stick.

Some previous owner broke the original, and replaced it with the wrong one. The reading is completely off, I knew about the 5 quart changes. I didn't want to burn the engine up by fudging up a simple oil change.
It has the original pan and possibly tube, but wrong stick.

Thanks for that clarification.

CBODY67

CBODY67
Reviving a dead thread, have something worth shouting about:

Follow Cbody67's advice here, don't trust the marking on any dipstick and tube, whose application is unknown, until you verify it.
I recently put a new chrome dipstick into a used engine (standard C-body pan) and found out 'full' is actually about 2 quarts low.

Reviving a dead thread, have something worth shouting about:

Follow Cbody67's advice here, don't trust the marking on any dipstick and tube, whose application is unknown, until you verify it.
I recently put a new chrome dipstick into a used engine (standard C-body pan) and found out 'full' is actually about 2 quarts low.
That's exactly what I ended up doing. The full mark on mine is the equivalent of "ADD" or "LOW." I made a mark with a knife where 5 quarts is. Engine hasn't blown up so far. :thumbsup:

Back