Someone Who Repairs the Auto Temp II?

march

Reaction score
What are your thoughts about the reference to a company that repairs Auto Temp II boxes, as referenced after 5:30 in this video? Is this something that only applies to the older Auto Temp II? Fortunately, I don't have it on my 77, but I found this reference interesting, along with his comments RE: Mercedes using the same system, as it may help others. This gentleman owns several 70's era luxury cars. mostly Ford & GM, with a couple of Chryslers. He posts videos on YouTube regularly.

I've just realized that this probably only applies to 1973 and older, as per this video he posted. It makes one wonder why Chrysler changed it in 1974.

The '74 C-body cars were a "clean sheet of paper" vehicle. Many of the "luxury items" of the earlier 1970s had proven quite troublesome, so they were replaced with more normal designs, by observations. Rim Blow Steering wheel, for example. In more recent times, an NHTSA advisory would probably have been issued for non-working Chrysler horns, due to a hardened Rim Blow switch, I suspect.

GM introduced their "Comfortron" automatic HVAC system in the middle 1960s, across the board, but not a high installation rate in Chevrolets, compared to Cadillacs (where it was expected to be seen). Its "controller" was under the instrument panel, where it modulated all of the hvac items to do what was needed, and when. A strange looking contraption, for sure!

Myself, like many others back then, had observed that manual hvac took a bit more driver input, but was more trouble-free, regardless of the brand of vehicle. BTAIM

It may well have been that Chrysler, as was a bit typical back then, over-designed the system and then sourced mediocre-level components to make it work. Wondering if anything from other systems might be replaced/adapted to the earlier AT-I or AT-II systems to make them work better?

Happy Holidays!
CBODY67

Yes the Formals had AutoTemp II 2.0 as it were. The fuselage underhood servo watervalve combo thing did not work out well because Mopar cheaped out on the materials which quickly led to leaky non functioning systems.

The 2.0 version of Auto Temp II that was in the Formals sought to remedy those issues, which I think it did. In my experience with Formals, 99% of the system function problems I ran into were solved by replacing this box (called the "amplifier"):

3441553.jpg

By problems, I mean air not flowing to the proper vents when different modes are selected. If you have no charge in the system, it must be addressed in the same way as any A/C system.

Yes the Formals had AutoTemp II 2.0 as it were. The fuselage underhood servo watervalve combo thing did not work out well because Mopar cheaped out on the materials which quickly led to leaky non functioning systems.

The 2.0 version of Auto Temp II that was in the Formals sought to remedy those issues, which I think it did. In my experience with Formals, 99% of the system function problems I ran into were solved by replacing this box (called the "amplifier"):

View attachment 572936
By problems, I mean air not flowing to the proper vents when different modes are selected. If you have no charge in the system, it must be addressed in the same way as any A/C system.

B48A5F68-222E-4DC5-9B5A-8EA6203DC4EA.jpeg

E8AA0FC3-6EFB-4882-9E28-5983381339C0.jpeg

F20A3DAB-76B6-4BF5-8A07-89A08C7E28C6.jpeg

04AE3DFF-7310-4D40-92F4-55308D9DC70D.jpeg

Back