Something for you blue New Yorker guys...

commando1

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
...to think about. :icon_mrgreen:

0505_CCRP_02_z_PAGE.jpg

HOLY HELL!!! :beavisnbutthead:

Me : "Honey can I do this to my car?"

Her : "Pfffttt! NO!"

Last edited:
Nice! Will my 8.25 handle it?

I found this with my google-fu skills...

Chrysler 8 1/4" Rear Axle

Chrysler Corporation's Spicer 8.25" rear was one of two differential types used in M-bodies, with the other being the weaker 7.25" unit. The 8.25" rear axle first appeared around 1969 in Plymouth Belvederes, Satellites and Dodge Coronets. The measurement refers to the size of the ring gear. This gear, which is turned by the pinion gear, changes the direction of the power being transmitted to it. The pinion gear is turned by the driveshaft. From 1973 on, the 8.25" rear was used in virtually every rear wheel drive car model produced by Chrysler through 1989 and in trucks and Jeeps through the 1990s. Some truck versions were designated as 8 3/8" or 8.375", but many internal parts interchanged with the 8.25" unit. It should be noted that all 8.25" rear axle assemblies DO NOT necessarily interchange across all models due to different widths.

Built by the Dana Corporation, the housing is cast iron with tubular steel axle tubes pressed and welded in to form a complete carrier and tube assembly. The gear assembly is accessed by removing an inspection cover having 10 bolts. 8.25" axles use either the "7260" or "7290" style U-joints. All 8.25" rears had 3" axle tubes with large bolt pattern (5 X 4.5" bolt circle) axles. Units with a 2.45:1 gear ratio have a special case that will not accept any other gear ratio. The axles are retained by a c-clip on either side. All axles were 27 spline until 1997 when they were upgraded to 29 spline.

Although the consensus among many Mopar enthusiasts is that a Sure-Grip (limited slip) equiped 8.25" rear is good for up to 500 crank horsepower, it fares much better in street applications than the strip, and in lighter cars than heavy cars. Open 8.25" differentials are more prone to fail at higher horsepower levels than Sure-Grip units. The 8.25" axle has considerable aftermarket support since it was so widely used in the 1970s for performance use.

I grenaded a couple of 8.75's in my Challenger in the early 70's.

I find the interesting............................The 8.25" axle has considerable aftermarket support since it was so widely used in the 1970s for performance use.

I have never heard anyone say I gotta get a 8.25 rear.........they're always dumping them.

They may not look for one to replace a 8.75 or 9.25, but I am sure thousands have upgraded their original 8.25. some M body owners may look for them as a cheap and easy upgrade from their "weaker" 7.25.

They probably have a good after market support more for their offroad use in JEEP vehicles.

Last edited:
True, but lets face it most pull them in favor of the 8 3/4" if they are starting with the 8 1/4"..........just from experience

I find the interesting............................The 8.25" axle has considerable aftermarket support since it was so widely used in the 1970s for performance use.

I have never heard anyone say I gotta get a 8.25 rear.........they're always dumping them.

Yep. 8.75 posi was the preferred axle back in the day. 9.25 if you had the $$$$ and the horsepower.

Yep. 8.75 posi was the preferred axle back in the day. 9.25 if you had the $$$$ and the horsepower.

the 8.75 is still preferred, but swapping in one to a car that never had an 8.75 can be a much bigger and expensive project than some are willing to take on.

Back