Something strange about the console shifting

Chrome58

Reaction score
Hello guys,

Today I noticed something : the round thing around the steering column rotates when I shift the console lever ...
Just like in a column shifter car, but without the lever.

Is it supposed to do that ????

Doesn't this rotating mechanism prevent you from putting the key cylinder past off, into lock and removing the key unless you are in park?

What year car? '70 and up will have steering column lock that's attached to floor shifter

Hello guys,

Today I noticed something : the round thing around the steering column rotates when I shift the console lever ...
Just like in a column shifter car, but without the lever.

Is it supposed to do that ????
Yes..
Beginning in 1970 it is part of the steering column locking mechanism.
You cannot take the key out when not in Park
When in Park and no ignition key,you cannot take it out of gear.
There is an extra rod from the trans going to the column and some people toss it out or is already missing.
On standard trans equipped cars you had to shift in Reverse to get the key out of the ignition.
Hope this helps.

Thanks everyone.
Yes it's on a '70 Plymouth, so the locking key system would explain that.
I thought that system was all internal, and I never thought it would imply an external part rotating.

Thanks everyone.
Yes it's on a '70 Plymouth, so the locking key system would explain that.
I thought that system was all internal, and I never thought it would imply an external part rotating.
Try figuring that out when your brother clamps a tachometer on that deal nice n tight. Drove himself insane Lol!!!

The "shift bowl" (but without a shift lever attached to it) rotates just as it would with a column shift car, BUT it rotates due to a "back-drive" linkage that mimics the column shift linkage to the transmission. On cars with the shift quadrant in the instrument panel, the clip for the (fishing line) attachment to the needle in the shift quadrant ALSO hooks to the shift bowl (which is what moves that needle). GM cars are that way, too.

CBODY67

Back