Source for axle control leaf bushings - 66 Imperial?

moper

Reaction score
Eastern CT, 2 stoplight town, Columbia, CT
So I can't find a picture in my manual - but I'm looking for a source for replacement bushings for the forward-mounting leaf springs that control axle wind on the Imperials. The seat in a bracket on top of the axle, and a bracket on the floorpan (under body). Looks like they press in like the larger leaf spring eye bushings...
Need a source for them - any ideas?

There is a picture in the '66 Chrysler/Imperial FSM. A bit "hidden" if you don't know what you're looking at/for. A factory "traction bar" of sorts?

Might need a press or puller to remove/install them.

Usually on suspension bushings of that nature (possibly the same as the front bushings on the regular leaf springs??), the three areas of consideration would be: diameter of the metal bushing where the mounting bolt goes through, the installed diameter (of the rubber), and the width of the bushing itself.

Please keep us posted on your progress,
CBODY67

These are anti axle windup springs. They are Imperial only, as the rear axle case and the body itself has to have the brackets and mounting points for the springs. It wouldn't be easily doable at a dealer. You'd have to fabricate a bunch. I've never seen them on C bodies or wagons, but my experience lacks on pre-65 stuff.

I got them at Mopar Mall. Website is Moparmall.com

And yes - you have to press them out and in, and it's a little more tricky than leaf springs because the springs themselves are thinner and smaller so the "housing bore" you're pressing into moves as you press them.

I have pictures of the parts installed but my phone's updating so I can't get them at the moment.

Here’s the rear- I’ll assemble the whole deal and snap a pic when I get to that part.

234E040F-37CC-4490-AEB7-810DED315072.jpeg

Thanks for the great pictures! Similar to the old Traction Master bars that bolted onto the bottom of the rear leaf springs' u-bolts. With a simple rubber-isolated parallelogram-style linkage to limit rear axle wind-up on hard acceleration. Many ads in the car magazines in the middle 1960s and, if I remember correctly, in some of the AMT plastic model kits, back then.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

Lots of spending, not much enjoying yet but at least there’s forward progress... next steps are brakes and working forward to the transmission...
Here’s the axle installed- it uses shims under the frame brackets to set pinion angle. Pretty cool- and i’d imagine this car launches dead flat. I don’t think the snubber has ever touched the floor.

B67E073C-1122-4682-9194-72A3334B0663.jpeg

BD9E53AC-7F7A-4349-AA06-E0C107D24A66.jpeg

Back