South African C-Body

Arno

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Great page and forum.

I recently bought a 1969 Dodge Polara, which was called a Chrysler 383 here in South Africa. She's basically a Polara, with Newport interior, minus airconditioner. Poer comes from a 383 with 2 barrel carter and 727 tranny.
She was sitting in a barn since '98, and only has 121k miles on the clock. Despite some minor rust issues and odd electrical and brake issues, she's complete and running sweetly.
Near future upgrades include intake and carb changes and a dual 3" exhaust.
I was happily surprised with her gas mileage, which is very similar to my 69 Valiant slant six. Approximately 6km/l driving stop start in traffic and around town.
Most guys here in Cape Town SA in the classic car circles prefer Fords and Chevy's, but I'm a Mopar fan in the blood.
I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions for you guys as time goes on, and I start fixing her up.
Regards,
Arno

IMG-20130318-00418.jpg
Here is a photo of my 69 polara / chrysler

IMG-20130318-00418.jpg

Welcome Arno, nice ride, it will keep you busy for a while and I would seriously consider installing A/C! I have spent a few vacations in SA, flew into Jo berg and then to Harare, Vic Falls and then on to Botswana the first time and stayed in the Okavango Delta at Guns Camp. Last trip was several years ago and drove the Garden Route but we spent a few days in Capetown. The day we returned to head home to the US was the day they blew up the embasy...we weren't crazy about getting on a jet to fly home.

Welcome to the site from the Motor City!
our first SA resident perhaps.

Hi,

welcome and have fun here.
The dashboard should look like a Fury dash, not like a Chrysler or Dodge dash according to my brochures about the Chrysler 383

Carsten

A South African Chrodge. I've seen it all now....
Nice score and welcome to FCBO.

< Sent from my tablet >

Interesting. In Australia, a right hand drive '69 Plymouth Fury was badged as a Dodge Phoenix. And now we know that in South Africa, a right hand drive 69 Dodge Monaco was badged as a Chrysler. I notice it has Monaco side trim and tail lights.

IMG-20130409-00469.jpgThanks for the warm welcome.
I'm not sure what Chrysler SA threw together back in the day. Maybe you guys could judge from the pics what came from where. She's RHD, with the steering box squuezed in on the right, which makes changing plugs a *****. The firewall however still has the 'blank' for where the steering should have been on the left.
From my internet surfings, it seems the tail lights are Monaco, the grill and front is Polara, and who knows where the rest was sourced from.
The wheels I put on are a rendition of 'Minilites' in 15x8".
There are power windows, yet the front vent windows are manual.
Using her as my daily driver.

IMG-20130409-00469.jpg

Some more photos.

I am also currently helping a buddy restore his '66 New Yorker, which was imported from the USA sometime in the 80's.

IMG-20130316-00411.jpg

IMG-20130316-00413.jpg

IMG-20130319-00429.jpg

Wow, I wouldn't have guessed Minilites. I have a set on a 70 Mini I'm restoring. Old photo, the car is now a bare shell restoration.

2010_0207AH.jpg

That's a very kool car and there's actually more room around the steering unit then I thought there'd be. Looks like you have the correct air cleaner base plate, do you have the original top? I don't know how big a difference it would make but I remember learning way back that you should keep your coil wire as short as possible and yours looks like it would reach the glove box, that is if your steering wheel wasn't in its place. Can you post a pic of the dash?

Welcome to the board. Interesting car you have and I really like it. It has to be one of a kind. The car looks very good with those rims. Here in Canada you see a lot of guys with Miatas add those rims. Aside from the trim the other thing that seemed odd to me were the mirrors. They look after mardet but who knows maybe they were stock in your country. :eek:ccasion14:

What's the blue wire heading to the left fender well? Is it the ground cable going to the block?

Actually, that looks like the 69 Monaco grille. The Monaco Grille had the eggcrate mesh in the grille openings, while the 69 Polara had horizontal bars in the grille openings.

Most likely the dash was sourced from the Australian Dodge Phoenix (Fury). Similarly, the American late 60's Valiants and Barracudas that were built in South Africa had the Australian Valiant's right hand drive dash assembly. And like Australia, you guys got an A-body station wagon that we didn't get here in America. The late 60's Australian Valiant wagon body was used in South Africa but with the American Valiant front sheet metal and trim.

69 Polara
1969%20Dodge%20Polara%204D%20Hardtop.jpg

69 Monaco
69dod_can_02b.jpg

Last edited:
Back