Southwest Speed headers

johnnyd

Reaction score
I have a 440 1967 LeBaron that I'm looking to find headers for.

Any thoughts as to whether Southwest Speed headers might fit or be close enough with mild modifications? I spoke with someone there and they said it likely wouldn't if not listed. Am I just having wishful thinking because I see a T&C, Fury, and Belvedere listed?

Southwest Speed - Performance Auto Parts

APPLICATIONS:

• CHRYSLER:
    • 1967-1974 TOWN & COUNTRY
  • DODGE:
    • 1970-1974 CHALLENGER
    • 1967-1974 CHARGER
    • 1967-1974 CORONET
    • 1967-1969 DART
  • PLYMOUTH:
    • 1967-1974 BARRACUDA
    • 1967-1970 BELVEDERE
    • 1970-1972 CUDA
    • 1967-1974 FURY
    • 1967-1971 GTX
    • 1968-1974 ROAD RUNNER
    • 1967-1974 SATELLITE

the guy has 2 posts throw him a bone

so - on c bodies - stuff is in the way usually. torsion bars and steering and blah blah.

seeing them lump the fury in with the b bodies in their "it fits" list - is not promising.

it usually means they have no fkn idea of what they are talking about.

for the price they arent horrible. but it says in their own ad the chrome is gonna fall off.

buy hedmans shortys and get to welding if you have the skill.

or suck up and get the TTis that at least make the attempt at being correct fit.

try not to die -

- saylor

The better question here is:
Why would someone want headers on a 1967 Imperial LeBaron,,
especially when there are better choices for exhaust on that car...
There won't be enough performance gain to warrant the expense and aggravation ..
LeBaron is substantially more weight than a Imperial Crown ,
which has substantially more weight than a Chrysler..

Not to mention he asked if it was wishful thinking. The initial reply wasn't being a dick, just honest. With that said, I do think shorty's would be a fair compromise and easier to install.

right on im not baggin on anybody, im just sayin the dude has 2 posts we should try to educate him thats all . the previous reply answered the question but didnt get him 1 second further than that

Although your Imperial's legacy is in the C-body realm of things, that does not mean that a New Yorker, for example, exhaust header will fit it. I believe there are some unique things on the Imperial front stub frame that are not there on the normal C-body stub frames. THAT would mean that you need to look for '67 Imperial SPECIFIC items in this respect.

I could be wrong, though. Perhaps a better idea would be to put the Chrysler HP exhaust manifolds on it?

Just some thoughts,
CBIODY67

[QUOTE="Xenon, post: 943239, member:
Why would someone want headers on a 1967 Imperial LeBaron,,
especially when there are better choices for exhaust on that car...[/QUOTE]

Maybe because it's his car and thats what he wants to do with it. I dont know why anyone needs a reason do make their car the way they want it.

Here are some of my observations, from my earlier years and up until now, decades later. No more, no less.
few of them actgually "fell into place" without some dings top the pipes for chassis clearance, ty
We don't know how the poster came to own the Imperial, but usually, getting it to run better is a normal situation and one which can result in discussions with "advisers"/other people who might tend to influence the poster. BTAIM

Upon their inspection of the car, they determine that "headers: might be a viable option as "headers are available for any vehicle on the road", or so they might suspect. No immediate thought of cost of the headers or related items (a full dual exahaust system). Or the possibility that that same amount of money might be spent elsewhere on the car for possibly better results. Headers have always been a somewhat popular upgrade, especially in the GM and Ford arenas, so they, in their mind, might be good to do on the Imperial.

Back when there are a zillion brands of headers, many sets could be had for about $200.00 for the best ones, Thick-walled with thick flanges and good gaskets. BUT few of them actually "fell into place" without some dings/clearancing actions, typically. Even some "war stories"! Still, a popular upgrade for many, but the B/RB HP manofolds were designed to be almost as good but without the many long-term issues which tube headers tended to have, back then. Serious racers still gravitated toward headers, though.

Perhaps, the poster might be aimed more toward TTI for any exhaust inquiries? So that a comprehensive exhaust system might be estimated? A vendor that tends to be more intimately aware of Chrysler issues than other vendors might? I'm not sure (after looking on their website) who or where Southwest Speed might be, but it appears they are not Mopar-specific, not a bad thing per se, just an observation. Which generated the reply the poster received from them on his "Imperial" inquiry.

To me, headers are not usually the first upgrade which might be made, but one which could come later (due to their explosive pricing over the past years). In getting ready for that later possibility, a good undercar 2.5" OEM-style dual exhaust with '72 Imperial mufflers (allegedly the same restriction as the Street Hemi OEM muffler, but in a C-body size) would be a good place to start. Which is where TTI could come into play!

Next thing would be to determine if the Chrysler HP manifolds would actually fit, considering some of the differences in underhood placement on those Imperials, when compared to a normal C-body 440HP installation. Then finding a good set at a decent price, so TTI could build the lead pipes to match the manifolds for a more-OEM-level fit and durability situation.

Certainly, a full TTI header/dual exhaust would be a conversation piece at any cruise evemt, especially if the headers are wrapped in ThermoTech-type head shield wrap. BUT in order to get that "right", it could well require the motor to be pulled out, the headers installed, and then the motor dropped back into place, "clearancing" as necessary, as it is dropped back in. NOT nearly the same as with a '69 Camaro small block!

Some thoughts and observations,
CBODY67

Hi All,

Don't worry. I don't take offense.

My first engine swap was a 360 into a '67 /6 4-door dart I got from my grandmother. Didn't know which end of a screwdriver to hold when I started and it took 3 months to swap engines- buying a k-frame, radiator, bell housing etc through the good old WandAdvertiser. I've basically been a mopar guy since then but only A-bodies. Always loved drag racing and never a show car type of person. My ole dart was quite the ugly piece with dents and different colored doors but was nitrous equipped and certainly handled itself back in the late 80's/90's.

The 4-door LeBaron is from my dad and I'm trying to get my teenagers to get it into a decent car they can leave at the track and spend Friday nights running in the street class. They've installed a MSD 6 and a performer intake with edlebrock carb. Am looking into these Soutwest headers only because I might be able to get a new set for $200. If they don't work out, the shortly is likely the way to go for this car.

Happy Thanksgiving!

dragster_1.jpg

Back