Spare Tire Option and wheel info

bnz84

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
My spare on my 69 Fury was original and while it looks good it was the wrong size to match my 17" wheels/tires and the spare would likely not last on the road, so I needed another refreshed version. I tried to be normal person and find another mopar 15" wheel and while I found some I also found other options for less $$. For shits and giggles I looked for 17" wheel with the correct offset (being close to zero) and there are plenty of options if you are going aftermarket and are willing to spend $100+. I tried to find used but not much luck. After considerable searching I found that 17x7 newer Charger steel wheels fit and cost $50 brand new & delivered. Looks like prices have gone up a bit in link below.

17 Inch 5 on 4.5 Black Steel Wheel Fits Charger Magnum 300 0422T | eBay

Fits These Models OEM
Fits Dodge Charger 2006-2011
Fits Dodge Magnum 2005-2008
Fits Chrysler 300 2005-2010

The concern here is that the offset is +22 so 22mm towards the frame. That equates to roughly 5" backspace. In the end when I test fit on the front the tire was about 1" from the brake line on full lock so I was OK with that. Of course you cant get a big ol fat tire so I looked for the thinnest tire that was correct for my height (yours would be different) I got these for $60 delivered

Solar 4XS + P215/65R17 Tire - Walmart.com - Walmart.com

So in the end I got a brand new 17" wheel and tire for about $110 delivered. Kinda like a space saver but not that much. A little lighter I think.

I should mention that this website I find very useful in getting specs and fitment on wheels down to the center bore and lug thread pattern. It doesn't have much old stuff but still useful. This is how I found a spare for my wife's Infinity which had run flats and no spare. Turns out a Ford Escape spare worked and was $10 at Crazy Rays.

Dodge Charger 2011 - Wheel & Tire Sizes, PCD, Offset and Rims specs - Wheel-Size.com (wheel-size.com)

I figure if I put a good chunk of time in to researching stuff sharing the results is what this site is for. Even if I get head-banging-on-wall emojis.

IMG_1763[1].JPG
IMG_1764[1].JPG
IMG_1721[1].JPG

Good question. I should have weighed it but its certainly less than my normal tire and wheel which is around 70lb. But then again 70 is NOT normal and is aftermarket. My guess it would weigh a bit less than oem mostly because of the thinner tire. If its important I'll dig it out of my trunk and weigh it. It does look odd all tucked in if you were thinking about getting 4.

I just wondering what a 17” wheels weighs compared to a 15” wheel. Lot more material there making the circle.

the sidewall of a tire is not very heavy, it’s the tread as it has more belts in it.

you other wheels weigh 70 lbs? Each?

That would be interesting to see the difference. Since the new tire is 19lb I could find out. Ebay and seller don't lists the weight. And according to the manufacture my existing tire is 30lb and wheel is 42lb.

Back