Spark plug wires not long enough - 68 Newport 383

Biggredd2069

Reaction score
Have a 68 Chrysler Newport with 383. I bought a new set of spark plug wires recently from the local auto store. I went to install them starting with the longest wire to the furthest spark plug and one by one started making my way in. I got to the 4th wire and realized following the path of the previous wires they weren't long enough. Tried messing around with just running them straight to the distributor and not worrying about how they routed and still seemed uncomfortably short. The auto store called in like 3 or 4 different styles and we measured what I originally bought to the other packs with non being any longer. So I ended up returning them altogether. Would really like to get those going but not sure where to start to make sure their long enough.

Also, I have a new set of points and a distributor cap. In the meantime of getting the new points in is it worthwhile or advisable to put in a fresh cap or just wait and do it all at once?

Have a 68 Chrysler Newport with 383. I bought a new set of spark plug wires recently from the local auto store. I went to install them starting with the longest wire to the furthest spark plug and one by one started making my way in. I got to the 4th wire and realized following the path of the previous wires they weren't long enough. Tried messing around with just running them straight to the distributor and not worrying about how they routed and still seemed uncomfortably short. The auto store called in like 3 or 4 different styles and we measured what I originally bought to the other packs with non being any longer. So I ended up returning them altogether. Would really like to get those going but not sure where to start to make sure their long enough.

Also, I have a new set of points and a distributor cap. In the meantime of getting the new points in is it worthwhile or advisable to put in a fresh cap or just wait and do it all at once?

What is the driveability concern you're experiencing?

I just bought this recently and I'm trying to do a full tune up. I did spark plugs already and want to get fresh wires. It could start a little easier but it does. It doesn't stall on me in general except if I try to mash it from a stop it stutters a little or stalls completely which sucks. Would an electronic distributor be the way to go? Was trying to avoid the cut and crimp wires but that may be best option right now for my comfort. Also, just behind the belts there is a fuel line with a clear filter, looks like the metal fuel line going to that is ever so slight crimped and I may look into replacing that as well to ensure smooth fuel flow. But in general I need a tune up so I can mash it and not stall out. it is the 4 barrel 383 with dual exhaust.

I just bought this recently and I'm trying to do a full tune up. I did spark plugs already and want to get fresh wires. It could start a little easier but it does. It doesn't stall on me in general except if I try to mash it from a stop it stutters a little or stalls completely which sucks. Would an electronic distributor be the way to go? Was trying to avoid the cut and crimp wires but that may be best option right now for my comfort. Also, just behind the belts there is a fuel line with a clear filter, looks like the metal fuel line going to that is ever so slight crimped and I may look into replacing that as well to ensure smooth fuel flow. But in general I need a tune up so I can mash it and not stall out. it is the 4 barrel 383 with dual exhaust.

What did the old spark plugs look like when you removed them?

Does the engine run smoothly right now under most conditions?

Is your primary concern hard-starting and hesitation when "mashing the gas"?

Because there is a common element here, none of which involves your ignition system.

The original owner advised there was a little oil on the plugs. He hadn't driven it much in a long while. The first couple miles I drove it it burned off the oil and backfired a little but stopped after a while and runs generally pretty good. I swapped out all those plugs and noticed a good difference in drivability. But yes, for just casual driving around the city I don't have any concerns. Its just when I wanna have a little fun from a stop light that it wants to stall at full throttle. Wasn't so concerned about the ignition per se, it does start but the guy did have spare new parts in the trunk. Some days when I haven't started it often it takes more cranks than I would prefer to start it. So long story short I just want the engine running smoother.

@Carmine has a good point your plups are like a book you need to read them to get the true story

The original owner advised there was a little oil on the plugs. He hadn't driven it much in a long while. The first couple miles I drove it it burned off the oil and backfired a little but stopped after a while and runs generally pretty good. I swapped out all those plugs and noticed a good difference in drivability. But yes, for just casual driving around the city I don't have any concerns. Its just when I wanna have a little fun from a stop light that it wants to stall at full throttle. Wasn't so concerned about the ignition per se, it does start but the guy did have spare new parts in the trunk. Some days when I haven't started it often it takes more cranks than I would prefer to start it. So long story short I just want the engine running smoother.
Has the timing chain been replaced

That I don't know. I do know that years ago there was an engine rebuild and they put a slightly bigger cam in it. But the guy didn't know much of what was entailed at the time. So first answer would be likely no. Is that a good first place to start?

This car was bought from the original owner in 1972. Was in same family since then until I bought it, was the guys moms car and she passed away so he decided to sell it.

That I don't know. I do know that years ago there was an engine rebuild and they put a slightly bigger cam in it. But the guy didn't know much of what was entailed at the time. So first answer would be likely no. Is that a good first place to start?

This car was bought from the original owner in 1972. Was in same family since then until I bought it, was the guys moms car and she passed away so he decided to sell it.

I'd say the answer is likely "yes". Only the biggest idiot would replace the cam and re-use an old nylon timing chain.

But that's hardly a test.

Back to troubleshooting... Do you know what an accelerator pump does, and how to check its operation?

Last time I put a set of wires on my 440 I had to order them. I have done the cut to fit as Captin71 suggested.

I don't know how to test the accelerator pump but reading into it sounds like a good place to start. Do I just take the air cleaner off and pump the gas by hand by the carburetor and see if fuel squirts in?

I may just do the cut your own wires after all, seems to be the best reasonable option.

After sitting for a few days my 68 also takes a bit of cranking to start. As mentioned above check your accelerator pump. As far as plug wires go Taylor makes some that actually have a little extra length to them. You can get them at Summit Racing.

Stop telling this guy how and where to throw as-of-yet unneeded parts! Why people, why? Don't introduce another variable. His problem is not typically associated with plug wires. Diagnosis should come first, and it doesn't require ordering or "making" anything.

Thanks for that video. I'll do it tomorrow. As for the wires I was only asking for advice on getting proper length, no assumption that it is wires causing me issues. Its just one thing I want to update regardless of the acceleration issue. Just an overall tune up.

LS Swap. Not sure why I didn't think of that sooner. lol

For future consideration:it’s never a bad idea to install electronic ignition , it will save you a lot time in tune ups . Here is a pic from another thread with the cost.
ACCF48D2-CCDD-4F33-9A87-EFB5B8A6E6A4.jpeg

Stop telling this guy how and where to throw as-of-yet unneeded parts! Why people, why? Don't introduce another variable. His problem is not typically associated with plug wires. Diagnosis should come first, and it doesn't require ordering or "making" anything.

I agree and I only threw the plug wire link on there as he sounded like he was replacing plug wires no matter what the real issue is.... But, you are 100% correct that he needs to find the source of the problem before he throws parts at it. I've said the same thing myself, over and over...

Back