Speakers!

Corbin

Reaction score
I want add some upgraded tunes to my '64 Crown 'vert. I've had the stock radio rehabbed with modern guts. I think I found a speaker that will fit in the dash. The center speaker in the rear seats is still questionable (meaning I'm not sure what I can fit there-any suggestions?) A small amp and sub in the trunk to handle low frequency vibrations....

And what else? What have other folks done to keep everything looking stock while allowing for enhanced tunage?

IIRC, the front speaker in a '64 is a standard 6 x 9 as is the rear.

I have one of these in the rear of my '70 vert and one in the front and one in the rear of my '65 Barracuda and I'm really happy with the sound.
DVC-3006 6x9 Speaker

Custom Autosound 6x9 with dual voice coils.

DVC_3006-100089-500x500.jpg

For the vert, I bought a inexpensive Boss Audio powered subwoofer that resides under the rear seat. A 4 channel Polk Audio drives the speakers.

The Barracuda speakers are just powered by the converted radio.

Both cars have converted radios.

The front speaker appears to be a 6.5" round. I don't think the 6.5" speaker will fit in the back. The orginal speakers were not with the car when I got it; so I don't have anything to compare it to.

The rear speaker number is 4411 VX8 and I can't get that one just yet. That may be the vendor number rather than a Chrysler part number.

ive had some 64 -66 imps that previous owners put speakers in the doors. i wouldnt do it myself but there is alot of room on the armrest panel. heres a pic of 1 , i had another car that had smaller speakers in the front and back ends that had speakers grilles painted to match the door panel.
it did look stock.
it looked good enough that people said they didnt know about that option (ford did it in mid 60s t-birds etc)

20180525_124025.jpg

The opening in the dash is round. There is a feature on the bottom side of the grille that matches the opening. FWIW I think this is a very early car so maybe they changed it up and used a 6x9 after a period of time. Unfortunately for me my parts book is missing the section on radios and speakers. :/

20210429_184324.jpg

20210429_184302.jpg

20210429_190311.jpg

20210429_074225.jpg

For posterity this is what I ended up doing;
6.5 inch round speaker in the dash. A little massaging of the phenolic spacer ring allowed it to insert from the bottom and center in the factory opening. I cut down some washers to use as tabs to pinch the whole assembly together. (Just screws are shown)
The rear got a 4x8 speaker. I used the existing sheet metal tabs to secure the speaker against the grill, and the magnet recesses nicely into the opening between the seats. The front is done. Once I figure out the cover for the top when It's down, I can button up the rear. 100% invisible.

20210511_212141.jpg

20210516_161216.jpg

Back