Speaking of Monaco-ized '70 Polara convertibles...

Greg B.

Reaction score
Mark's thread where he mentioned the red '70 Polara convertible with the Monaco front and rear trim led me to do a little searching, and I found these two cars which may be the same vehicle. The second pic is clearly in Euroland.

70polaraconv_mon.JPG70polara_mon2.jpg

Interesting, and though I like the '71 Monaco rear end I think I'd prefer the '70 bumper/taillights here. Does anyone know the story?

70polaraconv_mon.JPG

70polara_mon2.jpg

I do, and so does Dave. they are not the same, this car has the '71 Monaco tl panel, not the '70. It also has the '71 Monaco dash pad/instrument panel in it. The guy who converted it is the same person who bought my '70 Polara last year, the burgundy one that just sold on EBAY. He's a polara guy as well. That car was sold to someone in europe several years ago, the red one is here, in Wisconsin.

I didn't mean to imply the red '70 you were interested in recently was the same as the cars in these pics. I was trying to say I couldn't tell if the 2 pics above were actually the same car at different times, or 2 different vehicles that had both received '71 Monaco taillights.

I'm still not sure after reading your post?

I do, and so does Dave. they are not the same, this car has the '71 Monaco tl panel, not the '70. It also has the '71 Monaco dash pad/instrument panel in it. The guy who converted it is the same person who bought my '70 Polara last year, the burgundy one that just sold on EBAY. He's a polara guy as well. That car was sold to someone in europe several years ago, the red one is here, in Wisconsin.

Mark, do you know how much you burgundy car sold for? How was the condition of that car compared to your new white one?

I didn't mean to imply the red '70 you were interested in recently was the same as the cars in these pics. I was trying to say I couldn't tell if the 2 pics above were actually the same car at different times, or 2 different vehicles that had both received '71 Monaco taillights.

I'm still not sure after reading your post?
the pics are the same car.........and i apologize, i misunderstood what you were trying to say

Mark, do you know how much you burgundy car sold for? How was the condition of that car compared to your new white one?

burgundy car sold for $10,850.......it hit reserve so I assume he sold it for that price. not 100% sure on the total condition compared to my white car, i will let you know once i get under the white car and look it over. but i can tell you this: burg car was very nice underneath, has a bit of mud in the lwr qtrs on the inside, just like the white car does, also had 3 small holes in the drivers flr due to wtr getting inside it - the rug was soaked when I removed it a few days after getting the car. I repaired those holes with fiberglass resin. Other than that the underside and trunk had nothing more than sfc rust......trunk had some thin spots but nothing worn through.

now Bob, do you want to know the cond of the burg car when i received it or when it sold on ebay? They are 2 diff explanations.

burgundy car sold for $10,850.......it hit reserve so I assume he sold it for that price. not 100% sure on the total condition compared to my white car, i will let you know once i get under the white car and look it over. but i can tell you this: burg car was very nice underneath, has a bit of mud in the lwr qtrs on the inside, just like the white car does, also had 3 small holes in the drivers flr due to wtr getting inside it - the rug was soaked when I removed it a few days after getting the car. I repaired those holes with fiberglass resin. Other than that the underside and trunk had nothing more than sfc rust......trunk had some thin spots but nothing worn through.

now Bob, do you want to know the cond of the burg car when i received it or when it sold on ebay? They are 2 diff explanations.

Go ahead. I believe everyone is interested.

Well, when i got it the car was beat......seats and dash pad needed work, drivers seat was broken, turned out to be something wrong with the seat frame, carpet torn and soaking wet, torn ragtop and windshield broken, both frt turn signal lenses and 1 marker lens broken, most bulbs on car not working, one of the tl lenses cracked, mismatched tires, leaking oil and tranny fluid, and paint worn off in some areas and so beat in others that rubbing compound didn't even bring it back to life. the body had some parking lot stuff but was pretty much rust-free and I was able to find a readable build sheet under the rear seat cushion. One of the conv top cylinders was leaking and the exhaust was shot. The locks and keys did not all match. Car was a full tag car, also had road wheels and a few other options like headlamp delay off (the headlights would stay on for about a minute after you turned the car off) and it was a dealer demo car as noted on the tag and sheet. It is also 1 of only 19 383-4 cars built.

Before I sold the car I replaced the dash pad with a mint one (the grief from that is what prompted me to sell it), cleaned the paint up as best I could, replaced the top cylinder and bled the system, removed the interior and completely sanded down the floor and patched the small holes in the driver's area with fiberglass resin, then sprayed the whole floor with primer and some of if with the factory color as well, then replaced the carpet with a new one from Trim Parts. I also cleaned the area on the underside where I had patched and resprayed it with undercoating. I gave the car a full tune-up. It was then sold to a member of the Dock.

He did the following:
New oem Winshield
Driver seat totally re-done from inside
All 4 power window motors removed, cleaned, lubed
Power trunk release fixed
Power Door locks work fine now
Brand-new N.O.S. door,ignition and trunk locks 2 keys for each
4 New Cooper Trend-setter Whitewall radials
Brake lights fixed
New dual exhaust Mufflers from Y pipe all the way to tail
New Battery
Replaced Both Cornering light lenses and had lights fixed as well.
Of Course a Full C body correct Console using ALL original Mopar parts
ALL interior lights working with all new bulbs
Re-sprayed in factory Original Maroon color
New Factory-style Convertible top with Glass window
2 N.O.S. Window switches installed
Very nice used left-side dash panel installed.
ALL Dash bulbs replaced

The car looks a lot better than it did when it left me and it left me a lot better than it came to me, but he obviously did it a lot more justice. I still think Dave is mad at me for selling it. He also has no other full tag cars doc'd and only 2 known so far with 2 tags, so it's a good car to own.

Last edited:
How long did you have it? Is it the most optioned known Polara rag? Only 19 with a 4 bbl is very rare. It would of been nice if it would of came to Carlisle.

i only had it for abt 5 months, but i was busy with it. there are 2 known 2 tag cars, one of which has been junked and the other which is a hemi orange car that need a lot of rust repair incl a stub frame. so you can say it's the second most highly optioned 70 rag known. 70 polara rag #'s for US prod are as follows:

318 - 177
383/2 - 425
383/4 - 19
440 - 74

sure is.......and at some time in the future when i get it rebuilt I can soup it up a bit more, maybe to 400 hp, and maybe put a shift kit in the tranny

i only had it for abt 5 months, but i was busy with it. there are 2 known 2 tag cars, one of which has been junked and the other which is a hemi orange car that need a lot of rust repair incl a stub frame. so you can say it's the second most highly optioned 70 rag known. 70 polara rag #'s for US prod are as follows:

318 - 177
383/2 - 425
383/4 - 19
440 - 74

Thanks for that. I'd be curious to know where you got these production numbers. I have been trying to find out production numbers for 70 Polaras/Monacos for a while now and I keep hearing nobody knows for sure as this info was destroyed in a fire....? Do you happen to know the production numbers for all polara/monaco 2-door hard tops in 1970??

The green car in the original photo was restored by a fellow named Dan in the 90's in Arizona. He did a very nice job restoring the car.

The dash in the car is not a 71 Monaco dash, rather a 69 fury dash ...........

Mark, I know of one two tag car, wheres the other?

How long did you have it? Is it the most optioned known Polara rag? Only 19 with a 4 bbl is very rare. It would of been nice if it would of came to Carlisle.

It was there at Carlisle, but not on the fairgrounds...

The blue car that was there last year and this year is also an N code car

The green car in the original photo was restored by a fellow named Dan in the 90's in Arizona. He did a very nice job restoring the car.

The dash in the car is not a 71 Monaco dash, rather a 69 fury dash ...........

I found a YouTube video of the car, advertised for sale in 2011. Not sure if a fender tag is visible at the 1:28 mark:

Dash pics start at the 00:31 mark.

He took my idea and half assed it. Since then we haven' t spoken.

I have a copy of the tag from when the original seller had it for sale in the late 90s, maybe 2000

Back