Special Interest Plates Oregon

Knebel

Reaction score
Maybe someone knows....

When I bought my Fury about...6 years back, it had special plates on it. Because it was gonna be used as "primarily for transportation of people and property", I registered as a regular driver with regular plates and took the special plates off.

I've come to the point where the primary purpose of the car has shifted back to special interested and my registration renewal is coming up anyways. I am thinking about putting the special plates back on it but.... well, they are obviously approved already and have that "oregon special interest" sticker on it already. I'm not sure how I go about that. Since its a registration for life, could i technically just put them back on if i find the corresponding registration slip and just not renew my "daily driver" plates?

Most likely the state deactivated the plate when it got reclassified. Just check with the DMV if the plate is still active.

how would you guys define "parades, exibitions and all other similar activities" when the primary purpose is not to "transport persons and goods". So if i go on a testdrive and stop in the local home depot, wouldn't the primary purpose be the testdrive?

All other similar activity - there's the grey area. Get the plates, then if you ever get pulled over, just mention that you were getting _______ for the club (similar activity) or some story like that. I've never had a problem running collector plates on my car, and don't know any cops who would pull you over just because it's an old car. I drive my car almost daily, for any reason, and pass by the cops all the time. They know me and my cars, and they don't care.

Oregon might be different, but until you drive the car, you'll never know. And if you're making a run to check the brakes, or the timing setting, you have to do that somewhere, right? Not everyone owns a mile long airstrip.

the oregon law states "commit a class d traffic violation if used for the primary purpose if transporting persons or property".... the PRIMARY. so if i go drive...at midnight...and happen to go by a mcdonalds id be doing a testdrive/mechanical check whatever as my primary reason and the mcdonalds late night snack would be secondary so no offense?

reason I'm asking is, the county upped the renewal fee and slapped another fee ontop which doubles the two year registration cost exactly and I'm not driving the car that much anyways but only for my personal enjoyment, sometimes go for a cruise with the family and such

Back