Speedo Cable lenght 71 Sport Fury

Stoffauge

Reaction score
Good Morning fellas,

about to replace my speedo cable (measured 62-63 inches, NO CRUISE) but I am highly confused why for examle RockAuto shows an 80inch one that should fit my car. Found some 62" that look right with Nut on one side and push-on plastic on the speedo side but all specs say it´s just for a/b/e-bodys although the lenght and fit seams right....

You guys which one is really the right one?

I highly suspect that what many (i.e., RockAuto) sell will be a universal kit, which is "cut to fit" with a glue-on plastic piece(s) for the end(s) of the inner cable. If you can find what looks like what you need, but it isn't listed for a C-body specifically, what defines a speedo cable assy is its lengths (inner cable and also the outer housing/casing) and the end fittings/attachments for the speedo head and the transmission's speedo gears' fitting.

I'm suspecting that the adapter on the trans tailshaft housing will be common to TFs, regardless of the body the trans was installed into. Same with the speedometer's cable attachment (as long as they are the same style, which can relate to model year--older = screw-on, newer = slip-on).

There used to be a speedometer shop in Michigan that could build what is needed, in-house. Allegedly, the man that ran it used to work for AC-Delco building OEM cables. Lots of good reviews. Not sure if he's still in business, though. I used to see some ads in the back of some of the enthusiast car magazines. Perhaps some others have sourcing information?

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

With a NOS item such as that, you might need to pull the cable out of the housing and re-lube it with speedometer cable lube (which AC-Delco used to sell), for good measure.

CBODY67

Hello Fabian,

try ATP Y804 at RockAuto. That cable has 63 inches and should fit...

Good luck
Joerg

Hey Joerg,

although the one you mentioned does have the right length I need a push-on plastic clip on the speedo side and a 1inch nut on the transmission side. Don´t know why rockauto does show kinda wrong parts in that section....

Link attached is what I need. Summit has it but though I might find it with cheaper shipping or so....

OER 3592360 OER Speedometer Cables | Summit Racing

Ivan orderd the "wrong cable" two years ago, but we didn't need it to fix the speedo. So it's unused in my garage and I thought would fit.
Sorry for my false report ;)

I would have loved to buy the cable from Ivan.....always better to use one thats already in GER than paying high shpping fees......

Back