speedometer

grimley

Reaction score
just after some advice.

my 66 fury speedo jumps all over the place and is noisey as f@#k.

i disconnected as i have been restoring and forgot why i disconnected, anyway plugged it back and and realised why!

thought it may of been the cable so tried lubing but didnt work so i replaced it with a new cable and its no better.

what should be my next step? im guessing its the mechanism in the actual speedometer. is there anything i can replace/lub/fix? or am i better off taking it somewhere and getting it rebuilt or buying a working second hand one?

is there any other tests i can do to make sure its the speedometer and not at the trans end?

No test necessary Grimley. Disconnect the cable, and remove the speedometer from the dash. Look at the back where the cable screws on. In the 12 o'clock position of that metal protrusion from the back side of the speedometer head you will see a little indent that might look like theirs cotton or felt down in the bottom of the indent, IT IS. 2 drops of machine oil and NO MORE into that indent and put it back together and it should fix your problem. If you get carried away with too much machine oil it will leach through to the face of the speedometer which will make look like it peed itself(not good). And if you try to do this fix without removing the speedometer theirs no room for your fist and the can of 3-in-1 oil back there and you can't see to count the drops, Jer

No test necessary Grimley. Disconnect the cable, and remove the speedometer from the dash. Look at the back where the cable screws on. In the 12 o'clock position of that metal protrusion from the back side of the speedometer head you will see a little indent that might look like theirs cotton or felt down in the bottom of the indent, IT IS. 2 drops of machine oil and NO MORE into that indent and put it back together and it should fix your problem. If you get carried away with too much machine oil it will leach through to the face of the speedometer which will make look like it peed itself(not good). And if you try to do this fix without removing the speedometer theirs no room for your fist and the can of 3-in-1 oil back there and you can't see to count the drops, Jer

thanks, will give it a try when i get time and let you know how it goes. thanks

I will monitor this thread since I'm having the same problem with the Monaco. Sad part is I ripped out the whole speedo last winter and disassembled it looking for any obvious problems. A real PIA. If it works for Grimley I'll get back into it again.

I will monitor this thread since I'm having the same problem with the Monaco. Sad part is I ripped out the whole speedo last winter and disassembled it looking for any obvious problems. A real PIA. If it works for Grimley I'll get back into it again.

wont get a chance for a few weeks to try it but will let you know the result.

Hey fella's need to revive this old post.. The Speedo in my 75 jumps around at low speeds, disappears at higher speed. Reading the post, Looks like I need to oil mine as well.. Did any of you guys try it yet?

Hey fella's need to revive this old post.. The Speedo in my 75 jumps around at low speeds, disappears at higher speed. Reading the post, Looks like I need to oil mine as well.. Did any of you guys try it yet?
I replaced both cables on my 76. Lubed the the speedo. Still did the Watusi all over the place at low speeds.
Sent it off to Instrument Specialties. Problem solved.
Plus it got a new silk screening, numbers, calibrated, and reset to zero.
Expensive....

I dono? Early habitz iz hard tah break? All highz are not good highz yeah know. If yeah wake up some time after too many of them $1 draftz and theirz ah little gremlin layin' in there pushin' on the back side of your right eyeball with both feet you'll know ah bad decision haz done been made, lol

Back