Spent the day at Z-Max drag strip

C Body Bob

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
In Charlotte, NC and I think I can see why Racing attendance is off. Last year it was very hot. I was there. 90’s The place was packed. It was a sell out. This year mid 70’s & about 40% less people. I took some pics. Talk with a key guy from a former Dodge Pro Stock team about the problems that they had. More about that later if you guys are interested. Now back to my observation. It’s the cost. I had a free pass so I got in free. I like to buy the food from the vendors as it’s stuff you just don’t see anywhere else so I bought a 1/4 pound fire grilled burger with bacon. $8.00. Took 30 minutes to get it. 16 oz Coke $5.00. Order of fries $5.00. So $18 bucks for lunch. Nowhere to sit so I sat under the grandstands on the concrete. Watched all the Pro qualifying. Then walked around some looking at cars & talking to folks. Got hungry again so I got a large Ice Tea (mostly ice) $5.00 & a fresh baked pretzel $5.00. Now $28.00

I had a free pass so I got in free. I like to buy the food from the vendors as it’s stuff you just don’t see anywhere else so I bought a 1/4 pound fire grilled burger with bacon. $8.00. Took 30 minutes to get it. 16 oz Coke $5.00. Order of fries $5.00. So $18 bucks for lunch. Nowhere to sit so I sat under the grandstands on the concrete.

Clearly you should have called ahead and made a reservation,,,

In Charlotte, NC and I think I can see why Racing attendance is off. Last year it was very hot. I was there. 90’s The place was packed. It was a sell out. This year mid 70’s & about 40% less people. I took some pics. Talk with a key guy from a former Dodge Pro Stock team about the problems that they had. More about that later if you guys are interested. Now back to my observation. It’s the cost. I had a free pass so I got in free. I like to buy the food from the vendors as it’s stuff you just don’t see anywhere else so I bought a 1/4 pound fire grilled burger with bacon. $8.00. Took 30 minutes to get it. 16 oz Coke $5.00. Order of fries $5.00. So $18 bucks for lunch. Nowhere to sit so I sat under the grandstands on the concrete. Watched all the Pro qualifying. Then walked around some looking at cars & talking to folks. Got hungry again so I got a large Ice Tea (mostly ice) $5.00 & a fresh baked pretzel $5.00. Now $28.00

At most of these events, the vendors are paying a big up front fee to participate (sell) and up 50 percent of sales. That is why everything costs so much.

Dave

I had to pay $5.00 to park. Then walk 2 miles to the NHRA trailer to pick up my ticket. 2 fan trams went by me as I was walking with a knee brace on my right knee. Neither stopped to pick me up. Sure would have been nice to ride a big part of that walk

So other than the overpriced food and the long walk, how was the rest of the day?

At Brainerd International Raceway, they go out of their way to get you to the gate with those trams. Everything is crazy money inside the fence, I've just gotten used to it. I make selective purchases other than the food, I'll pay more for something I don't get a chance to eat often.

I'd love to hear more about the Dodge Pro Stock team.

At Brainerd International Raceway, they go out of their way to get you to the gate with those trams. Everything is crazy money inside the fence, I've just gotten used to it. I make selective purchases other than the food, I'll pay more for something I don't get a chance to eat often.

I'd love to hear more about the Dodge Pro Stock team.
Yea that’s how I feel. The food is different that you usually can find. So I enjoy what looks & smells good. On the Dodge teams in Pro Stock. NHRA put the rule book to them. Basically made them also rans. I’ll talk more about that later. Maybe create a thread. And I got it confirminded from a former driver who is now a team member of a GM team. Nice talk with him. We talked Pro Mod too. And some Factory Stock

Back