Spindle sizes for 69-72,and 73 “C” Bodies

furynut65

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have the actual spindle diameter numbers for the 69-72 & 73 front brake spindles. I did try to google it in the forums and couldn’t come up with anything.I know I’m doing something wrong. Anyway,Thank You for any help,Mike

Can't help you with the diameter measurements but I can tell you that the '73 Spindles (and late '72) were a different diameter than the '70 - '72 spindles. This means you must have the correct year bearings and rotors etc. for the spindles. FYI, '69's still used the Budd style disc brake set ups that started in '66. For '73, Chrysler standardized the spindle size and C Body cars, 1/2 ton trucks and vans and other cars all used the same diameter spindle, bearings, rotors etc.

Is this what you mean by "spindle diameter"?
PicsArt_01-27-02.53.48.png

Thank You for the responses. I should have been more clear. The part where the wheel bearing goes on the spindle shaft is different from the 69 to 72 spindles compared to the 73’s. From what I hear the earlier ones were smaller than then the 73’s. I made the switch 8-10 years ago and I can’t recall which ones I put on. I haven’t had the wheel off since and now I’m ready to buy the rotors,calipers etc. and I just need to know what size spindle I have before buying. Thanx again,Mike

That's exactly what I was referring to. I couldn't understand any other dimension he was referring to seeing as the "spindle" is tapered.
Got it.
It is likely the machined inner spindle diameter and the outer diameter just after the threads where the bearings sit that are also the main difference that combine to make the total differences for each year

Can't help you with the diameter measurements but I can tell you that the '73 Spindles (and late '72) were a different diameter than the '70 - '72 spindles. This means you must have the correct year bearings and rotors etc. for the spindles. FYI, '69's still used the Budd style disc brake set ups that started in '66. For '73, Chrysler standardized the spindle size and C Body cars, 1/2 ton trucks and vans and other cars all used the same diameter spindle, bearings, rotors etc.
-69 Chryslers got pinstyle calipers. Not Budd. Dunno about Dodge, Plymouth and Imperials.

It’s 5 7/8” in length
View attachment 166368
Thank You Mr. Fix It, Those are the numbers i’ve been looking for especially the 1.375 number for the bearing race.I understand the 73’s were a little bit bigger than the 70 to 72’s.I know somebody posted the 2 sizes of the different years but I cannot seem to find it. So much great info.Thank You to everyone for responding.

Thank You Mr. Fix It, Those are the numbers i’ve been looking for especially the 1.375 number for the bearing race.I understand the 73’s were a little bit bigger than the 70 to 72’s.I know somebody posted the 2 sizes of the different years but I cannot seem to find it. So much great info.Thank You to everyone for responding.

You're most welcome!
That's part of why we are members.
Sharing the knowledge we have to help others.:thumbsup:

Back