Start of a 67 300 convertible

Big Daddys 300

Reaction score
I am starting a restoration project I know will be challenging. 1967 Chrysler 300 convertible 440 that was custom ordered from the factory. The biggest challenge to me will be the uni-body frame repair, it is in poor to fair condition with rust issues. I am seeking the best way to replace/repair or custom build the uni-body "frame". This is going to be strictly a road car so I am not confined to original or show restoration process or parts. Any useful advice would be greatly appreciated. The car is currently completely stripped and on a rotisserie set for a convertible. Has anyone ever dealt with frame rail replacement or custom fabrication for a " non letter 300" albeit I am assuming a c classification frame repair?

IMG_2773.JPG

It doesn't look too bad, can you take some close-ups of the bad spots? My first suggestion would be to strip/media blast the whole thing.

I agree with Detmatt on this one. From what I can make out in that photo, at least the rear clip doesn't look bad at all. I've seen guys around here do a lot with way way less and a lot of that was just cutting and boxing where needed .. this is esp. good if you aren't going for show quality but even there, I've seen cutting and boxing where you couldn't tell in any way that it had been done.

Seems like you got alot to work with there! Can't wait to see more.

Yea, those rails look pretty good. I do see some rot at the bottom of the rocker. That's an easy fix.

We found this in my 70 300 vert. It was the only spot, I assume from the hole in the truck floor, there was a battery stored there that leaked.

The rot was cut out and a new piece formed and welded in. I don't have a good pic, but a little paint and some undercoat, and you can't see it.

Replacing those rails is a major project. Finding better replacement pieces is going to be hard.

Back