Starter issues 1963 880 w/361

bikemobile

Reaction score
Hey guys,

1963 Dodge 880 with original 361 (by casting number) 727 pushbutton.

Old starter is noisy, hangs for awhile and is generally crungy. So I read a 94 dakota starter will work. Ordered a proform from summit. Installed and it just clunks. Got a 94 dakota style starter from oreilly. Just clunks. Got an original style starter from reilly, starts 3 times then just clunks. No start. Checked everything, grounds, new cables, new relay. Lots of volts at each point. Today I pulled the dust cover to see the bendix engage and it pops out and just hits the TC ring gear. Tried turning the engine a bit by hand, turned the bendix gear a bit. Same thing. Clunk!

Put the original starter back on and starts up fine. But the original starter is tired. I’d like to replace it but with what?

I see a powermaster original style starter at summit for $176 but I hate returning stuff there.

Any ideas?

Amazon shows a mini starter designed for big blocks including your 361

Using the Dakota mini starter can cause alignment problems. This starter was designed for Mopar small blocks. The big blocks are wider. Look at the backside of the starter where it contacts the block. There is a metal rib on the starter that sometimes contacts the block and does not allow for the starter to go in straight. This will cause the drive gear to bind up and not properly engage the ring gear. Try putting a sheet of paper between the back side of the starter and the block, if you can not move the paper freely, odds are the starter is hanging up on the metal rib. You can fix this by taking a bench grinder to the rib where it is hitting the block. Some of the mini starters also have the power connection on the back side which can also cause problems, if memory serves me correctly, there is a cable kit to modify the connection.

Dave

Try to locate an auto electric shop that rebuilds starters & alternators. They can rebuild yours & it will be better than anything off the shelf from a parts store.

My plan is to get my starter rebuilt. I live in a tiny mountain town in Colorado so not many choices. Any suggestions for sending it out?

I had a 1960 Imperial that had an original starter rebuilt by these folks and was pleased with the results:

His name is Sam and he owns P&G Keene Electrical Rebuilders in Bridgeview, IL
The number there is (708) 430-5770

Tell him what you have and maybe even send him a photo of the unit if it is out of the car or you can just send the starter to him and he will check everything out and at the end of the day he will tell you which direction to go. He rebuilds just about any unit ever sold in the U.S. from what I understand.

A guy in the Chrysler 300 Club International, Inc. also highly recommended them.

Sam there is very helpful.

I had a 1960 Imperial that had an original starter rebuilt by these folks and was pleased with the results:

His name is Sam and he owns P&G Keene Electrical Rebuilders in Bridgeview, IL
The number there is (708) 430-5770

Tell him what you have and maybe even send him a photo of the unit if it is out of the car or you can just send the starter to him and he will check everything out and at the end of the day he will tell you which direction to go. He rebuilds just about any unit ever sold in the U.S. from what I understand.

A guy in the Chrysler 300 Club International, Inc. also highly recommended them.

Sam there is very helpful.
I emailed them thank you

Hey guys,

1963 Dodge 880 with original 361 (by casting number) 727 pushbutton.

Old starter is noisy, hangs for awhile and is generally crungy. So I read a 94 dakota starter will work. Ordered a proform from summit. Installed and it just clunks. Got a 94 dakota style starter from oreilly. Just clunks. Got an original style starter from reilly, starts 3 times then just clunks. No start. Checked everything, grounds, new cables, new relay. Lots of volts at each point. Today I pulled the dust cover to see the bendix engage and it pops out and just hits the TC ring gear. Tried turning the engine a bit by hand, turned the bendix gear a bit. Same thing. Clunk!

Put the original starter back on and starts up fine. But the original starter is tired. I’d like to replace it but with what?

I see a powermaster original style starter at summit for $176 but I hate returning stuff there.

Any ideas?
Check your ignition timing just for laughs... Too much advance can cause similar issues.

Gotta rule out the no cost stuff first!

Back