Starter problems

rich383

Reaction score
Hi everyone I’m new here, I have a 66 Polara 383 and the starter went on it. I went to parts store and got a new one and it was the new style “mini”. I put it in but the terminals were clocked differently and I had to reroute the wires and I don’t like where they ended up. I also had to take off the terminal extension because it hit the block. I want to go back to the original style large Chrysler starter but none of the parts stores have them. Is there a mini style starter that has terminals in the same position as the old ones?

Also the car starts good now but after the first few starts it started making a grinding noise. I used the shield between the starter from 440 source. Bolts are tight and starter sitting flush. Thanks

Sixpactogo

Reaction score
I can help you with either starter. There is a guy that makes the adapter for use with the mini starter. I bought an extra one from him when I converted my 65 Sport Fury to the mini. If you want the original style, I can help you there also. I have a nice clean one PN 2875553 I would sell for $75.00 shipping included or the adapter I have for the mini starter for $24.00 shipping included. Here are pics of both.

100_0378.JPG

100_0379.JPG

100_0380.JPG

100_0381.JPG

1970FuryConv

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
@Badvert65 I believe sells the adapters to correctly position the mini-starter terminals.
Generally the mini-starter is much better for quick starts.
I have one mounted on a 1969 440/727. Works excellent and no grinding.
How are the teeth on your torque converter ring gear?