Starting issue 72 Newport 440

scorp

Reaction score
Had the car at work today and started it and moved it a couple times during the day. Later in the day I went to move the car and it would not start and stay running. If I keep cranking the engine over and give it throttle, it runs but as soon as I stop cranking it over it then runs for a second and dies.

Checked the mechanical fuel pump(no electric one installed) and it was good. There is fuel going right to the carb so it led me to believe that I may have a carb issue. The carb is a Edelbrock 1411.

Upon thinking about this after having the car towed from work and forking out $107 for the tow bill, I got thinking that it sounds more like an ignition issue since it will run while it is cranking and not stay running when in the "run" position. I will be checking the ignition switch this weekend and see if that is the issue but I just wanted to see if anyone else has any input of what else to check.

Thanks ahead of time everyone.

Could be the coil. Check and see if you're getting spark.

Classic failed Ballast resistor symptoms. If the car only stays running when the starter is engaged, I would replace that first. Always carry a spare in the car because they don't normally give any warning and it's a $10, three minute fix.

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick responses. I will pick one up tomorrow after work and try it. This is why I always hunt down car forums for the cars I own.

Well it actually wasn't the ballast resistor but I replaced it anyways. It is actually the ignition switch so I made a temp jumper fuse to start the car.

Hard to diagnose these things not being there and all. Probably not a bad idea to replace or at least have a spare BR on hand. I keep one in the glove compartment. You are F'd royally if its damaged and you don't have an extra one on hand.

Hard to diagnose these things not being there and all. Probably not a bad idea to replace or at least have a spare BR on hand. I keep one in the glove compartment. You are F'd royally if its damaged and you don't have an extra one on hand.

Same situation with arise with the coil....

Back