Starting Woes

LocuMob

Fluid Technician with a hat
Reaction score
Went to start the 500, and this is what I hear:

I checked all the wiring from the relay to the starter, and it was good and tight.

I checked that the starter was bolted on tight.

I swapped the relay to rule that out.

I swapped the ignition cylinder to rule that out.

I gave a quick look at the wires under the dash, they all appeared to be in proper condition and not cut, or any unhooked or loose. Appeared to be.

I jumped the large bolt and S5 on the starter relay with my remote, and the engine turns over smoothly, and fired almost immediately, with no throttle given. Something is making noise, so I shut it off.

So it sounds like crap turning the key, starts like it should with a remote (tried with both relays). I put back everything to the original components, execpt the relay. I'll swap it back in.

Electronic ignition upgrade has been done using 5 pin box and later style four post ballast resistor. No aftermarket items involved.

Sounds like a loose connection somewhere. Did you check the ground cable going to engine block or wherever you have it hooked to?

So let me get this straight, when you use the remote which is bypassing the ignition switch it starts good, but when you use the key which is using the relay as intended you get the sound in the video that sounds like a low battery.

If you have a meter I would check the voltage at the relay trigger wire when trying to start it, if it's low check the bulkhead like JCT suggested. Start working backward to the ignition switch

So let me get this straight, when you use the remote which is bypassing the ignition switch it starts good, but when you use the key which is using the relay as intended you get the sound in the video that sounds like a low battery.

If you have a meter I would check the voltage at the relay trigger wire when trying to start it, if it's low check the bulkhead like JCT suggested. Start working backward to the ignition switch
The only part I haven't checked yet? Cue Stan to come yell at me.

Small diameter wire going to starter has high resistance or poor connection...not enough current to keep solenoid at starter energized.

The audio really sounds like a low battery. The starter relay is either engaged or not engaged when the ignition switch is turned, so I'm not so sure that it's a problem with the ignition switch or wiring. If that "clicking" is the relay, it is very possible that you do have an issue with the switch/wiring. I just can't tell from the sound of the video.

With the idea of starting simple and working toward the problem, first thing I would do is put a voltmeter on the battery itself and see what it drops down to when you try to start. If that looks good, check the voltage at the relay (again when trying to start) and see if the relay is getting proper voltage.

You can take the battery to AAP or AZ and they .ca. test it and charge it up for free normally in less than hour. That will elinlminate the battery of being the problem.

You can take the battery to AAP or AZ and they .ca. test it and charge it up for free normally in less than hour. That will elinlminate the battery of being the problem.
I used a known good battery to confirm the issue as soon as it appeared.

I helped a coworker with his motorcycle after work, so I didn't spend much time on the car. I did check wiring under the hood, small.wire to starter is attached tightly, ground to engine and firewall tight. Connections at relay tight. Replaced a broken battery cable terminal, jiggled the wires at the bulkhead, neutral saftey switch connected and wire plugged in. Still have the same result.
I am going to check the wiring inside the car tomorrow.

Back