Stealth and GPS

1978 NYB

Warfighter
Legendary Member
Reaction score
I was thrust in the military intro to Stealth and GPS 28 years ago during the Gulf War.

There is a lot of development since then that technology has advanced to protect American Warfighters on today's battlefield. I was lucky to be a part of this development at the Army Test Center while I was still a Warfighter from 1992-1996 and then after I retired in 1996 from the Army and worked at the ATC as a military contractor. The advances technology made has saved thousands of American lives from 9/11 forward.....things that the average Joe takes for granted daily on the I-phone and Android as well as video and computer advances.

How the Gulf War combat debut of 'stealth and GPS' transformed war

How the Gulf War combat debut of 'stealth and GPS' transformed war

I'll tell you that one scary *** problem we encountered during the Gulf War was our Air Power didn't have the technology to ID us as friendly forces. There were several incidents where American forces were attacked by mistake by our own air power. I was part of the development of the Blue Force Tracker System at the Army Test Center. That system is still being upgraded and enhanced to this day.

Blue Force Tracking - Wikipedia

Project Manager Force XXI Battle Command Brigade and Below - Wikipedia

Screenshot_20190525-021859_Chrome.jpg

Gulf War was 28 years ago.....Damn, it seems like yesterday.....

A long way from an embedded spotter directing fire with wire to wire field phones, relaying to radio operators talking with air support.

Don't forget that the Internet was originally a government network for communications. In the early '80s, a friend who was in the diesel injection/pump sales/repair business, had discovered it and was using "mailboxes" to store and retrieve messages to/from his customers. At the time, it seemed like modern-day hacking, but it worked and he didn't get in trouble for it, that I knew of.

Later, "60 MInutes" did a segment on it and how none of the computers connected to it had any kind of password protection. And, some hackers went into them, just to see if they could, without any malicious actions. Nobody understood the need for such password protection, back then, apparently.

Seems like the orig GPS had two levels. Consumer at 50' accuracy. Military at 25' accuracy. But I understand it's all merged together with far greater resolution.

Thanks to all who have served this nation in its military and/or support functions thereof.

CBODY67

Don't forget that the Internet was originally a government network for communications. In the early '80s, a friend who was in the diesel injection/pump sales/repair business, had discovered it and was using "mailboxes" to store and retrieve messages to/from his customers. At the time, it seemed like modern-day hacking, but it worked and he didn't get in trouble for it, that I knew of.

Later, "60 MInutes" did a segment on it and how none of the computers connected to it had any kind of password protection. And, some hackers went into them, just to see if they could, without any malicious actions. Nobody understood the need for such password protection, back then, apparently.

Thanks to all who have served this nation in its military and/or support functions thereof.

CBODY67
When I was in service in the late 80's early 90's we had a system called CAMS (core automated maintenance system) it was our paper aircraft forms on computer. The base computers were all networked and you could access any aircraft forms from the terminals. I don't know if it was on the " internet " so to speak, I don't know if other bases could access our data. I can't even imagine what they are using now.

Back