Steering Boxes

'69FuryIIIConvertible

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
The only thing holding me up from dropping my finished engine and trans into my stub is that I need to do something about the steering box, That being said, here's what I have in stock here at the C body barn,

I have the box from my 73 which has G-2848969 L7 on it, box from a 69 convertible which has G-2287600 L5 on it, and I have one said to be from a 69 Polara police package with G-2267600 L6 on it.

I also have access to multiple C body steering boxes if I want to go pull one.

My original is not safe to re-use, the splines for the coupler are all damaged and I won't re-use it like that.

So how do I identify what I have and what it is, or whether its quick ratio, are there any simple upgrades that I can do at the moment?

I've already replaced the boost valve in the Saginaw PS pump with one from a Slant 6 car...

Nick

Are the numbers you're quoting cast or stamp numbers? Do all of the mounting lugs/locations match what you need? Perhaps there were some, but the only "quick ratio" boxes I've heard of were on E-body cars only, which also needed different pitman arms and such, too. There might be some differences in the inner torsion bar stiffness, but not the gear ratio, afaik. New Territory, so interested in some horizon expansion here.

If the Slant 6 pressure valve puts out lower pressure, that's not the best way to get more feel from an existing gearbox, to me. Just more effort to turn the wheel. Put enough caster into the alignment for better highway driving.

Obviously, cost is an issue, respectfully so. What about the Borgeson upgrade to use (what I understand is) a late model Grand Cherokee box? Or a reman box from one of the Mopar-oriented vendors?

CBODY67

The Boost valve swap, lowers the output pressure of the pump...takes it from 1200PSI to 600PSI and is a fairly common swap to get rid of the finger steering, I've thought of the aftermarket reman boxes, but putting a thousand dollar box into a thousand dollar car is like giving your grandma a boob job, its great, but isn't really necessary.

All of the boxes I have are C body, they do have some minor differences on the exterior, I can take some pictures tomorrow to compare.

I bought the one from a member here and had it shipped from the west coast, supposedly it came from a 440 powered cruiser.

Thanks for the information. Personally, I like "fingertip steering", from back when "luxury" meant "minimum effort to drive the car". NOT to forget about parallel parking! Perhaps a pressure drop to 1000psi might be better? To each their own.

CBODY67

The Boost valve swap, lowers the output pressure of the pump...takes it from 1200PSI to 600PSI and is a fairly common swap to get rid of the finger steering, I've thought of the aftermarket reman boxes, but putting a thousand dollar box into a thousand dollar car is like giving your grandma a boob job, its great, but isn't really necessary.

All of the boxes I have are C body, they do have some minor differences on the exterior, I can take some pictures tomorrow to compare.

I bought the one from a member here and had it shipped from the west coast, supposedly it came from a 440 powered cruiser.

Nick:

The interchange manual shows the basic power steering box for the Dodge Polara is the same from '65-72. Some use a different return nipple which is not included. Reman part number is 82-0475R for $170 plus refundable core of $100.
www.buyautoparts.com has these units. If you are going to use one of the used units, putting a reseal kit into it would be a good idea.

Dave

Back