Steering Column Overhaul

73Coupe

Reaction score
Well it was finally my turn to have a round with that rubber coupler. Thanks to previous members' trials on the subject, the Land Rover part worked for me too. Atlantic British hooked me up. One thing let to another and the whole column got rebuilt since it was out:

IMG_8800.jpeg

IMG_8801.jpeg

IMG_8808.JPEG

IMG_8810.JPEG

IMG_8816.JPEG

IMG_8821.JPEG

I bought a pot coupling rebuild kit from DMT, however all I needed was the rubber. The original metal parts were all good, including the spring clip. The OEM grease was still pretty much intact as well.

Used a grinder to make the new rubber coupler the same thickness as original. Ground 1/8" off ea/ side.

IMG_8823 (2).JPEG

IMG_8825.JPEG

IMG_8829.JPEG

IMG_8827.JPEG

IMG_8830.JPEG

IMG_8831.JPEG

Counter bores drilled in new coupler, and other original parts cleaned up nicely.
The pot coupling was painted and reassembled with marine grease. Man, that new stainless clip was a B**** to get to stay on. I used the auxiliary wire clip too.
Column to dash bracket was bare metal, with very light surface rust, however it cleaned up with some phosphoric acid metal prep. Bare metal it remains.
Bottom bearing was in great shape, it was washed in solvent and re-greased.
The foam seal, however was almost nonexistent...

IMG_9153.JPEG

IMG_9152.JPEG

IMG_9080.JPEG

IMG_9083.jpeg

IMG_9087.JPEG

IMG_9130.JPEG

Very nice job! I noticed you have "special assembly grease " on the table or maybe there is something else in that whiskey glass...:rolleyes:
Regards,
Mika

Great work. You're lucky it was a non tilt/tele column! I never heard about the Land Rover part...I love the tricks I learn from this group!

Thanks for posting. I have four columns I’ve been intending to make one good one, these photos are a huge help. I’m curious about the plastic screws, can you expand on what you did there and what you used to replace them?
upload_2019-12-16_7-16-51.jpeg

McMaster-Carr has the nylon rivets (Rivets\Push-In\Pin-Lock Shank) I probably have 40+ more (no idea where), I don't recall what size they were and I had to trim the inside fingers a little.

IMG_0980.JPG

IMG_0982.JPG

Alan

Very nice job! I noticed you have "special assembly grease " on the table or maybe there is something else in that whiskey glass...:rolleyes:
Regards,
Mika

Yes, my neighbor noticed that I was "working dry" and came through with a little help!

Thanks for posting. I have four columns I’ve been intending to make one good one, these photos are a huge help. I’m curious about the plastic screws, can you expand on what you did there and what you used to replace them?
View attachment 337452

These are 1/4" nylon screws i picked up at the hardware store. I tapped the shift tube to accept, as these are slightly larger than the original nylon rivets. I had to grind the heads to fit on the outside and snip the ends for clearance to the steering shaft. I like Alan's rivets better, but I didn't want to wait for anything in the mail, and these are hidden.

Yes, my neighbor noticed that I was "working dry" and came through with a little help!

These are 1/4" nylon screws i picked up at the hardware store. I tapped the shift tube to accept, as these are slightly larger than the original nylon rivets. I had to grind the heads to fit on the outside and snip the ends for clearance to the steering shaft. I like Alan's rivets better, but I didn't want to wait for anything in the mail, and these are hidden.
I get McMaster-Carr orders the next day if I get my order in by about 3:00, otherwise the following day, never more.

Alan

Well it was finally my turn to have a round with that rubber coupler. Thanks to previous members' trials on the subject, the Land Rover part worked for me too. Atlantic British hooked me up. One thing let to another and the whole column got rebuilt since it was out:
View attachment 337411
Manufactured in the EU, that's a new one! Nice!

Back