Steering column rubbers

ALLAN

Reaction score
I've got the steering out of my 1970 Polara and would like to replace the rubber couplings in the column, are they the same as B bodies? or breed specific? Also where from?

Yes and first gen pickups if they are the flat ones. The replacement kits are a dime a dozed,

If you have a set of knuckle rubbers, you'll have to make them from a chunk of runner. A dremmel and a drill is needed. Time consuming but a positive solution. Been there

Yes and first gen pickups if they are the flat ones. The replacement kits are a dime a dozed,

If you have a set of knuckle rubbers, you'll have to make them from a chunk of runner. A dremmel and a drill is needed. Time consuming but a positive solution. Been there
Thanks,been looking at some repair kits, looks like some conveyor belts could have 3"holes

You really need to use an original Mopar part. They are very special with the metal inserts. There is a seller on Ebay selling them for $200.00. I bought one a couple years go for my 71 Polara cop car. They are also a lot thicker than the ones that GM used. They look very bad when they are jury rigged together. It was worth the money in my book!

I ordered one for a LandRover reputed to be a good fit for the C body. We will see. Just finished replacing the steering gear box. Heavy, brutish job but it went well and for the present works surprisingly well. Best of all: NO MORE LEAKS!!! :D

yep feel the pain!! took me a day just to get the pitman arm off, I also have ordered a Land Rover coupling, at £10 over the counter I've nothing to loose, not had a chance to play yet tho, whilst here, I have the lower coupling stripped, what grease should I put back as it seems way thicker than bearing grease?

I'll use lubriplate when I rebuild my pot coupling. I figure for now best not to disturb it until I get the rag joint rubber in the post. Then I can do both couplings at once. I'm happy to report the BBB gearbox I installed thus far is doing fine! I DID use the Mopar spring clip on the pot coupling to keep it closed as they recommended when one disturbs it in any way.

One final note: I'm shopping for a power steering fluid COOLER now. The most compelling reason for having these is preservation of the seals. THAT was what compelled me to replace the old unit. The seals failed very badly.

Well that worked :) The Land Rover coupling needed some fettling, nothing too drastic, replaced the seal on the Pot coupling using a new clip. nearly ruined my self lifting the new unit in but worth the effort.

Well that worked :) The Land Rover coupling needed some fettling, nothing too drastic, replaced the seal on the Pot coupling using a new clip. nearly ruined my self lifting the new unit in but worth the effort.

I've yet to get spare time to do mine. Have to build up some extra $$ again before I can afford to take time off to work on Tilly. I have the couplings, just as you did. I'm tickled with the quality of the LandRover unit and the pot coupling rebuild kit I got from Ehrenberg.

VERY pleasantly surprised with the BBB/Vision OE steering gear box I got for ~$120. Not a miniscule droplet of fluid has escaped it and it steers as tight as the unit it replaced, so, I call it good!

Back